• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Website Changes

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I made some changes to entice more users to become a Sawhorse. Here are some of the changes.

1) The Off Topic forum was moved to the Sawhorse section. If you want to access the Off Topic forum, you must be a Sawhorse.
2) Those that are not Sawhorses, Moderators or Admin have 10 minutes to edit their post after hitting submit.
3) Those that are not Sawhorses, Moderators or Admin cannot upload attachments to private conversations, only to forum threads.
4) Those that are not Sawhorses, Moderators or Admin can only have 1 person in a PM and not several like before.
5) Sawhorses have 48 hours to edit their posts.
6) Sawhorses see less banners and no banners in certain parts of the forum.

There are a lot of things that Sawhorses can do that others can't, but these are the most recent changes.

Off-topic posts are not relevant to Building Codes, don't help us with search engine placement, and actually distract from the site. Therefore, it makes sense to make them private. If you want to post something in the off-topic area, become a Sawhorse.

Last edited:
I made some changes to entice more users to become a Sawhorse. Here are some of the changes.

1) The Off Topic forum was moved to the Sawhorse section. If you want to access the Off Topic forum, you must be a Sawhorse.
2) Those that are not Sawhorses, Moderators or Admin have 10 minutes to edit their post after hitting submit.
3) Those that are not Sawhorses, Moderators or Admin cannot upload attachments to private conversations, only to forum threads.
4) Those that are not Sawhorses, Moderators or Admin can only have 1 person in a PM and not several like before.
5) Sawhorses have 48 hours to edit their posts.

There are a lot of things that Sawhorses can do that others can't, but these are the most recent changes.

Off-topic posts are not relevant to Building Codes, don't help us with search engine placement, and actually distract from the site. Therefore, it makes sense to make them private. If you want to post something in the off-topic area, become a Sawhorse.

And I have noticed the lack of advertising in the threads themselves, thank you.!

I don't understand how another platform using same software - XenFora - has no ads ever. Just saying.
I believe JAR is using a platform that is the most affordable, hence the advertising at some level. I'm sure if all the sawhorses ponied up more annual fees, he would be happy to go that route.

There are lots of websites, news feeds etc. that offer free content with lots of annoying ads. They try to sell you on a paid subscription to avoid them...like Fox, newsmax, netflix, paramount, max, on and on. I personally haven't found any that annoy me so badly that I pony up to avoid them. TBCF is no exception, If I were given the choice of paying more for fewer ads I wouldn't do it. Not because the forum isn't worth it, but because I am cheap. I get more from TBCF than I give to it, and I appreciate it's existence and the sacrifice it takes to bring it to me.

All that said, I have noticed a significant reduction in the ads, and I'll take the win.