• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Welding shop occupancy classification

retire09

Silver Member
What would the occupancy classification be under the 2009 IBC for a welding /repair shop?

retire09 said:
What would the occupancy classification be under the 2009 IBC for a welding /repair shop?
So is the majority of work welding???

What kind arc, gas etc???

What kind of repairs??

How many welding rigs???

The argument could be made for F-2.

306.3 Low-hazard factory industrial, Group F-2. Factory industrial uses that involve the fabrication or manufacturing

of noncombustible materials which during finishing, packing

or processing do not involve a significant fire hazard shall be

classified as F-2 occupancies and shall include, but not be

limited to, the following:

Beverages: up to and including 16-percent alcohol content

Brick and masonry

Ceramic products

Foundries

Glass products

Gypsum

Ice

Metal products (fabrication and assembly)
The material is metal which is noncombustible and the process of welding is probably less dangerous than what would exist in a foundry. So I would go with F-2

Last edited by a moderator:
4500 sf VB building Intend to do all sorts of welding repairs and custom metal fabrication.

Build and repair trailers, repairs and modifications to aluminum boats etc

So, sort of a split ticket here.

I know I weighed in as F-1 on this, but now I am kind of second guessing myself, as I have on under proposal right now. Decent size one, 9800 sf of the F welding/fab shop, and about 4000 sf of a B.

So separation from the fab area is going to be required one way or another. If it is F-1, 3-hr to create the less than 12K fire area to keep from sprinklering. F-2 would require 2-hr to separate the F-2 from the B.

Any more input?

From my experience - I would classify the space as an F-2 (see very last typical use within an F-2).

306.3 Low-Hazard Factory Industrial, Group F-2

Factory industrial uses that involve the fabrication or manufacturing of noncombustible materials which during finishing, packing or processing do not involve a significant fire hazard shall be classified as F-2 occupancies and shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
Beverages: up to and including 16-percent alcohol content
Brick and masonry
Ceramic products
Foundries
Glass products
Gypsum
Ice
Metal products (fabrication and assembly)

https://up.codes/viewer/general/int_building_code_2012/chapter/3/use-and-occupancy-classification#3