• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Well another first for getting a permit here. Deferred payment.

FredK

Gold Member
Seem the new metal health facility is asking for the fees to waived until 2013. They are under a federal grant for so much money and the fees could stop the project.

My boss asked me about it and we both agreed it's not in the code, but if the city manager want to it's his call. As I understand it the manager wants the city council to make the decision and have some sort of agreement for paying. Fees total about 60-70K with the building permit share of 25K.

Anyone else do this?

sounds like a business already going out of business

I know that field is tough on making money

[As I understand it the manager wants the city council to make the decision and have some sort of agreement for paying. /QUOTE]That is exactly how it should be handled. The council should be cautioned about setting a precedence as cda is alluding to when the next business gets in line with a sad story.

Around here cities have been waiving all fees to get Wal Mart, Costco, Home Depots into town, in some cases using eminent domain to get and give them the land to get the sales taxes, we even have cities fighting with adjoining cities for sales taxes. These businesses typically produce something short of a million dollars in sales taxes, it's no wonder that cities fight for them.

In another era Calvin Coolidge said: "The business of America is business", that should now be changed to: "The business of America is government." My local congressman has introduced a jobs bill into congress, jobs alright, but all the jobs are government jobs saved.

Rep. George Miller's new jobs bill would pump $340 million into the East Bay to save or restore nearly 6,200 local government jobs, according to House Democratic estimates released Tuesday. The House Education and Labor Committee, of which the Martinez congressman is the chairman, produced the estimates for dozens of cities and counties across the country as part of its promotion of the Local Jobs for America Act.

East Bay job projections include: Alameda County cities under 50,000 and unincorporated areas, 639 jobs; Alameda, 193; Antioch, 243; Berkeley, 287; Contra Costa County's cities under 50,000 and unincorporated areas, 1,308; Concord, 332; Fremont, 508; Hayward, 398; Livermore, 137; Oakland, 1,199; Pittsburg, 162; Pleasanton, 152; Richmond, 293; Walnut Creek, 162; and Union City, 173.¹

With each of these jobs come pensions and lifetime health care, it's time to privatize inspection and fire fighting.

¹ http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_14922605?IADID=Search-www.contracostatimes.com-www.contracostatimes.com

""""""With each of these jobs come pensions and lifetime health care, it's time to privatize inspection and fire fighting""""""""""

Glad I do not work in the private sector, I need health insurance and would like to retire one day.

We will only waive fees for non-profit here.
I have never understood that line of thinking. Is that ALL non-profits or just a select few and how do you decide which ones. The VFW, American Legion, Moose or Elks clubs that operate no differently than the local bars. How about the 4 story 168 bed hospital? Non-profit does not correlate to we do not have any money, most often it is just the opposite.

Done ranting

Some jurisdictions will set up some kind of PILOT (Payment ILO taxes).. annual payments to re-pay the fees. It's not good business to totally waive fees.

Building permit is 25k, what is the other 45k in fees for? Once you do this you cannot unring the bell. Not to say it is a bad idea, but from experience I can say that a great idea backed with Federal money does not necessarily have to be executed by a great applicant with great intentions. Am I correct that this is indeed a private, for profit, venture?

I can definitely see the principles failing to pay the fee and/or flipping the facility to another set of investors and sticking them with the issue.

Smells like bad mojo to me.

The other fees may be water/sewer connection, subdivision fees, impact fees, etc.

Depends on the city manager's reason for wanting to do it; do we need or want the facility bad enough to waive the up front costs? (Maybe).

When I ran an enterprise fund building department, I required that the City credit me the lost permit fees.

If 60K will break the bank on the project; it's probably not going to succeed.