• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What are the Top Three Reasons you Converted from Contractor to Inspector?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Pick your top 3 by number. I am curious as to where this will take us.
  1. Work Stability: Building code inspectors typically work for governmental agencies, which often provide more consistent and stable employment than the cyclical nature of the construction industry. This stability can be particularly appealing as one nears retirement age.
  2. Regular Hours and Predictable Workload: Contracting can involve long hours, especially when trying to meet project deadlines. Inspectors usually have more regular working hours, which can lead to a better work-life balance.
  3. Physical Demands: As one gets older, the physical demands of being a contractor can become more challenging. An inspector's role, while still requiring site visits, is generally less physically demanding.
  4. Leveraging Experience: An experienced contractor possesses a wealth of knowledge about building processes, materials, and best practices. This expertise is invaluable in an inspection role, ensuring that standards are met and safety regulations are adhered to.
  5. Pension and Benefits: Government jobs often come with comprehensive benefits, including health insurance, retirement plans, and pensions, which might be more favorable than what a contractor can secure on their own or through their business.
  6. Continued Involvement in the Building Industry: The role allows professionals to remain involved in the building industry, influencing it in a different capacity and ensuring that structures are built safely and to code.
  7. Giving Back: After a successful career in contracting, an individual might feel a desire to "give back" to the industry by ensuring that new construction meets the necessary safety and quality standards.
  8. Less Financial Risk: Contracting businesses have inherent financial risks, from project overruns to client disputes. Working as an inspector provides a consistent salary without the overhead and risks of running a contracting business.
  9. Job Satisfaction: Ensuring that buildings are safe and up to code can provide a significant sense of accomplishment and job satisfaction.
  10. Professional Growth: The role of an inspector can open up other avenues for professional growth within government agencies, such as moving into administrative or managerial roles related to building and zoning.

Last edited by a moderator:
5 1 6 maybe....Small business struggling with good help, etc....Mass. started fining me for not having health insurance and that was the straw.....

3, 6, and 10.

Actually, being an inspector paid better than being a carpenter in my area, even at the time. Then, we got moved up to being paid on even footing with surrounding jurisdictions and to approximately the national averages, now our hourly pay blows what carpenters make completely out of the water.

Unless you own your own company, but then #8 would come into play and I didn't want to deal with that. I see lots of young guys in our area go belly up trying to start their own business.

Job stability with less financial risk.

Less risk of physical injury from trauma or exposure to harmful substances.

"Stepping up" to the next level in the industry.

Having a positive, long term impact within the community.

Enjoy the challenge of university level courses and training.

I made the switch at a younger age than most. It has been a great career move for me although sometimes I wonder what could've been if I stuck with contracting.

2. Regular Hours and Predictable Workload: Better for family life.
5. Pension and Benefits: Didn't value this as much when I went in but I sure do now.
10. Professional Growth: I needed to use my brain more. The challenge of obtaining certifications was appealing. It was either something like this or take some business classes.

Honorable mention: 7. Giving Back: The day to day is mostly thankless. Constantly being accused, argued with, slandered. But the times where I am able to help someone and they are thankful are priceless.

I actually miss #3, the physical demands.

I made the switch at a younger age than most. It has been a great career move for me although sometimes I wonder what could've been if I stuck with contracting.

2. Regular Hours and Predictable Workload: Better for family life.
5. Pension and Benefits: Didn't value this as much when I went in but I sure do now.
10. Professional Growth: I needed to use my brain more. The challenge of obtaining certifications was appealing. It was either something like this or take some business classes.

Honorable mention: 7. Giving Back: The day to day is mostly thankless. Constantly being accused, argued with, slandered. But the times where I am able to help someone and they are thankful are priceless.

I actually miss #3, the physical demands.
Welcome!...Eastern or Western Mass?