• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What Are These and What Do They Do?

Re: What Are These and What Do They Do?

Thanks but do they adjust automatically for the demand of air needed or ????????

That depends on how the system is programmed. Usually there is a programmable zone control thermostat that will move air flow from one zone to another rather than heating the entire house or needing to have two air handlers installed.

(Just saw these at the home show - otherwise. . . )

Yep, looks like a motorized zone damper. It will open when the portion of the house that that branch trunk feeds calls for heating or cooling. could possibly be a wireless one. I know a coulpe of contractors that have put in wireless systems into existing buildings to avoid pulling wires through finished areas.

[Yep, looks like a motorized zone damper. It will open when the portion of the house that that branch trunk feeds calls for heating or cooling. could possibly be a wireless one. I know a coulpe of contractors that have put in wireless systems into existing buildings to avoid pulling wires through finished areas.]

Guarantees payment, if not there will be a guy sitting outside your house with a laptop screwin with the HVAC System :twisted:

I've dealt with these types of systems on the commercial side but not on the residential side. This was something I hadn't seen before on the residential side. It was a different type of device.

Thanks for the information.

They're finally finding a way to 'zone' forced air systems... It's about time!

residential zone systems have actually been around for awhile. When I got in the trade in the early 90's, the contractor I worked for was putting them in then.

One big problems is that these systems are very proprietary, and the electronics soon become outdated. Where I used to work we had a building with this type system that had been installed 10 years or so previously. Some of the zone controllers were beginning to fail, but the manufacturer had changed the system so that the new zone controllers couldn't communicate with the main controller, so the choice was to try to find used zone controllers on E-bay or install a whole new control system.

It looks like something from "plan 9 from outer space".. at least from the picture