• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What century is your building department in? (POLL)

Does your Building Department use software for the permit process?

• NO We do not use software at all and use nothing but paper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • YES We use a combination of computer and paper

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • YES We use permitting software but not for all aspects of the permitting process

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • YES We use permitting software from soup to nuts including inspections and plan review

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Joe.B

Yeah I think we are just too small of a city for it. The couple of times we met with their rep I had to reiterate things like "no, I'm the only inspector" or "no there aren't going to be more than 5-6 registered users" and the like. It seemed to me like he was used to working with departments with at least double digit users.

jar546

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
Yeah I think we are just too small of a city for it. The couple of times we met with their rep I had to reiterate things like "no, I'm the only inspector" or "no there aren't going to be more than 5-6 registered users" and the like. It seemed to me like he was used to working with departments with at least double digit users.
You are never too small of a city to justify doing things electronically, especially the improved record keeping. Life is actually easier.

tmurray

I would have to agree with Jar, I have a two inspector department and went with an electronic permit management system 10 years ago. We have slowly moved more and more electronic to the point we are at now where the only paper I deal with are paper submission from Boomers.

tbz

Silver Member
It surprises me that the ICC has not developed its own marketable software system for building departments.

Being they have resources and a very strong knowledge base behind them.

Just a thought

steveray

Sawhorse
It surprises me that the ICC has not developed its own marketable software system for building departments.

Being they have resources and a very strong knowledge base behind them.

Just a thought
They have.....

Joe.B

The pandemic forced us to accept electronic submittals and I'm glad for it, we should have all along. We just don't have any modern software to connect the dots. Electronic submittals come in emails as attachments or links and we do our intake in our 90's style access program, then back to emails to distribute plans/links to various departments for review, then we get emails back with comments which we then log in the database. Once we have all comments we create a consolidated correction list in word, then email that back to the customer. It works and really isn't much different than the way we did paper submittals. The new software we we supposed to get was advertised as a "all in one" program that did all of that and there was an online portal for customers. Program not as advertised so we are just making do with what we have. Really it's not bad, just outdated.