• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

what determines if an establishment is a restaurant or a bar?

PatrickGSR94

Have an existing restaurant building renovation that has the word "Bar" in the name. According to Chapter 29, bars require a higher plumbing count than restaurants. If the establishment is considered a restaurant, the existing restroom counts work. But if they're considered a bar, the existing count is not in compliance. So what makes it a restaurant vs. a bar? Is it the preparing and serving of food? Cooked food? Presence of a commercial kitchen? They do serve food, and most of the building area is actually taken up by the commercial kitchen. So to me that seems like it should be "restaurant", and the existing plumbing counts will work.

It may very well land somewhere in between, and it is up to the AHJ to make the determination. The fact that it has "bar" in the name would seem to be relevant. I would try to look at the intent of the code, and if the building bathrooms will serve the required function. If the determination could go either way, I would lean towards allowing the owner to operate with the existing bathrooms, so as to not create a hardship. My $.02

I would consider the whole of the establishment, things such as the number of seats at a bar, the number of seats for eating, is the business more table food with drinks compared to drinks and a finger food, pickled eggs, or the sandwiches heated up in the light bulb ovens.

We have wrestled with that issue here in Mass. Below is 2005 guidance from Massachusetts Fire Safety Commission and Automatic Sprinkler Appeals Board found at https://www.mass.gov/doc/asabguidancepdf/download

If the establishment is designed or used as both a restaurant and a nightclub, dance hall, discotheque
or bar, or similar entertainment purposes on more than a temporary basis, it may have to be
sprinklered since it is not being “used principally” as a restaurant.
Heads of the fire departments
should use their best and reasonable discretion and make the determination consistently and fairly
based upon specific factors that exist for the particular building. In determining such matters on
appeal the Board will look at such common sense factors such as:
a) Does the restaurant establishment regularly and routinely serve meals on a daily
basis?
b) Does the establishment provide a bar, bar seating, bar standing and a bar tender for
the purposes of serving alcoholic beverages directly to alcohol consuming
customers?
c) Does the bar and bar seating area have the ability to expand into the dinning area to
accommodate special entertainment activities or increased capacity/density.
d) If the establishment provides a bar and bar seating, are alcoholic beverages
continuously served to customers more than one hour after full kitchen facilities have
been closed?
e) Is live or recorded music provided for dancing purposes or for a viewing audience?
(does not include background dinner music)?
f) Does the establishment provide special entertainment, including but not limited to:
musical, theatrical, comedy, or sport viewing activities?
g) Based upon the establishments name, décor, atmosphere, does a customer expect a
bar or nightclub type establishment?
Page 7 of 8
January 10, 2005
h) Is the establishment or portions thereof routinely or regularly used for private or
public functions for dancing, parties, celebrations, entertainment or performance
purposes?
i) Does the establishment have an entertainment license?
These factors are not necessarily all inclusive. However, such factors or combination of factors may
be considered to determine if the occupancy has existing activities or conditions that are similar to
nightclub, dance hall, discotheque, bar, or similar entertainment purposes.

I had read somewhere that the definition hinges on the anticipated percentage of income from each side of the business. Is it mostly food with drinks available, or mostly drinks with sandwiches available.

I would think having a kitchen vs not having one would be a consideration.
That might work in some areas but in Kentucky even a Bar has to have a kitchen and serve some food. Actually, here it is based on percentage of sales and you actually have to get a different kind of license for a Bar than you do for a restaurant. Thus, in such a case it would be easy to determine which it was by the type of permit had.

A bar is an establishment licensed to serve alcoholic beverages.
A restaurant is a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises.
In CA, based on the CA Alcohol Beverage Control, a business that does both, designation is based on where the business derives the majority of their revenue.
If 51% of revenue is from alcohol based drinks, it is a bar.
If 51% of revenue is from food, it is a restaurant.