• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What do you call this?

Hey jp, you an I know each other good enough to know that this is just one of those "sit down, drink a beer with a buddy" type of discussions so I don't see any of your comments as being....B!TCH! SHOW ME! :)Okay, still haven't opened the codebook but if there are separate exits provided and none of the areas that the exits support have an OL of over 30 then why would they need to be a rated corridor. Let's call the hallway an exit passageway.

View attachment 277

View attachment 277

/monthly_2010_12/572953bb3eaf0_ExitPassageway.jpg.bafe7baa91fa92082a61f076f711e59a.jpg

I guess we really need the original image. On my picture I was trying to show more or less that you could have one building which has an OL of more than 30 and not require rated corridors.

I wonder why you and I (besides bldginsp) are the only ones in this discussion? Maybe we have the others thinking! :) And it sure does hurt to think!

Last edited by a moderator:
jpranch said:
Mule, that looks like 2 different tenant spaces to me. So the means of egress is specific to that tenant.
But the shared dividing walls may need a rating between tenant spaces

Finally, thaks Mule. I hope this comes thru. For the discussion of this topic, lets assume that all of the code applies for distances, door sizes, etc. What I'm looking for here is:1. If you take the OC and divide it in accordance with the number of exit discharges, like I was taught by BOCA, to determine door size and corridor width, is that the "corridor load"? If so, is that how you determine if it is rated?2. How many corridors do you have here?

View attachment 278

View attachment 278

/monthly_2010_12/OFFICE.jpg.985d25b91d2cb0f9c5e4cfc2d4fa06fc.jpg

If non-sprinklered the corridors in this proposed plan have to be rated.

"corridor load"? No such animal. Now corridor capacity, thats another issue. BOCA? Know it very well.

Mule said:
I guess we really need the original image. On my picture I was trying to show more or less that you could have one building which has an OL of more than 30 and not require rated corridors.I wonder why you and I (besides bldginsp) are the only ones in this discussion? Maybe we have the others thinking! :) And it sure does hurt to think!
I do wish others would join in on this discussion. I believe this would initiate some code changes.

jpranch said:
If non-sprinklered the corridors in this proposed plan have to be rated."corridor load"? No such animal. Now corridor capacity, thats another issue. BOCA? Know it very well.
OK lets go with corridor capacity then.

Table 1017.1 of the International Confusion Code, hence ICC, states at the top of the second column, occupant load served by corridor. Same as corridor capacity?

Okay..throw my picture away and we'll get back to the original question.

CORRIDOR. An enclosed exit access component that defines

and provides a path of egress travel to an exit.

From what is described the building only needs an exit passageway because the travel distances are within 200 feet of a exit. If the distance was more than 200 feet then a rated corridor must be provided to protect the occupants until they reach an exit.

TABLE 1017.1

CORRIDOR FIRE-RESISTANCE RATING

OCCUPANT LOAD SERVED BY CORRIDOR

Without sprinkler system

A, B, E, F, M, S, U Greater than 30 1hr

Key word...Served by corridor. Greater than 30 OL.

You do not have an OL greater than 30 because the DP has provided 3 exit passageways (hallways :) )

I've been following this thread and in my experience as a plans examiner I have determined that this structure shall have 1 hour fire rated corridors constructed in accordance with Section 708.

The minimum corridor width shall be 44".

The corridor is the entire exit access, all of the corridor sections are connected and not separated by the use of a horizontal exit thereby requiring the rated corridor enclosures and the 1/3 hour rated door assemblies.

Exit passageways are protected and have no openings to adjoining spaces and only lead to an exit.

Looks like we are the only ones left. Here is the staff interpretation. Corridor is singular. This building has only one corridor as shown. You were right earlier that there is no hallways just adjacent spaces to the main use. If you install doors to enclose any portion of the exit access you have an additional corridor and the doors don't have to be kept closed just as long as they make an enclosed exit access componet. You take the indicated load of the/that corridor from the plans and apply any rating to that corridor, so according to them I can install doors and cut down the load to no more that 30 occupants and apply the same logic of the blocked exit to the corridor(s) and not rate any of the corridors as long as the load doesn't exceed 30. What a crock of crap.

From my training from BOCA, "the required capacityof a corridor is determined by dividing the occupant load that must use the corridor for exit access by the number of exits to which the corridor connects. The capacity of the corridor must never be less than the capacity of the exit to which it connects". This is how I have done it for the past 18 years.

bldginsp said:
Looks like we are the only ones left. Here is the staff interpretation. Corridor is singular. This building has only one corridor as shown. You were right earlier that there is no hallways just adjacent spaces to the main use. If you install doors to enclose any portion of the exit access you have an additional corridor and the doors don't have to be kept closed just as long as they make an enclosed exit access componet. You take the indicated load of the/that corridor from the plans and apply any rating to that corridor, so according to them I can install doors and cut down the load to no more that 30 occupants and apply the same logic of the blocked exit to the corridor(s) and not rate any of the corridors as long as the load doesn't exceed 30. What a crock of crap.
I think the staff has been spending too much time in Washington. Your approach on capacity is right on target. I can certainly see where the word "served" can create some confusion. Dam I miss the old BOCA & CABO codes!