• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What does "(A, B, C) (I-P)" refer to?

sunyaer

The following is the table title from Ontario building code SB-10 Division 2 chapter 1 (page 25 of SB-10):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TABLE SB 5.5-5 (See Appendix A.)
(Supersedes Table 5.5-5 in 2010 ANSI/ASHRAE/IES 90.1)
Building Envelope Requirements for Climate Zone 5 (A, B, C) (I-P)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does (A, B, C) (I-P) refer to?
It looks like "I-P" is a unit system, but want does it stand for? Imperial? Do "I-P" and "IP" stand for the same thing? "IP" is in Table 3.1.1.2.A (IP)

That section supersedes similar tables in ASHRAE 90.1 to understand them them properly, you would need to view them within that standard.

I'm not in possession of the standard (it is not referenced by the national code), but my initial assumption is that these are sub-categorizations of a climate zone. The national code breaks Zone 7 into A and B to apply different requirements.

The I-P and SI mean imperial and international system as you suspect.

The following is the table title from Ontario building code SB-10 Division 2 chapter 1 (page 25 of SB-10):
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TABLE SB 5.5-5 (See Appendix A.)
(Supersedes Table 5.5-5 in 2010 ANSI/ASHRAE/IES 90.1)
Building Envelope Requirements for Climate Zone 5 (A, B, C) (I-P)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does (A, B, C) (I-P) refer to?
It looks like "I-P" is a unit system, but want does it stand for? Imperial? Do "I-P" and "IP" stand for the same thing? "IP" is in Table 3.1.1.2.A (IP)
North America was divided into 8 general climate zones based primarily on temperature.
It was then divided into three moisture categories designated A, B, and C.
Zone A being humid, Zone B being dry, and zone C Marine, where the warmest months don’t exceed 72 °F and winter temperatures range between 27 and 65 °F.