• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What does it mean to be a "licensed" contractor?

Licensing of contractors is considered as restraint of trade which means that the Federal antitrust laws apply unless the State has set up the system for licensing. The Supreme Court has stated that in the absence of a state system of licensing, local jurisdictions are subject to antitrust law. Home rule authority is not relevant. It seems that many jurisdictions are in legal jeopardy.

Have your city attorney read Community Communications Co. v. Boulder
Great Insight, just when I was thinking about "Licensed Drivers" vis a vis "Licensed Contractors"
The State has the authority to determine if a person has Insurance to assure they have the financial backing to protect another driver / passenger or the public from negligence of the operator. They may even give them an initial TEST. No test can really be designed to keep us from making a mistake or having an accident, So as long as we have that financial "Safety Valve" to protect others from a loss then I guess that is all the State can do is the answer

Or who believes the State can Do More?

The state has the authority, but cities and counties have much more limited authority.

Licensed contractors come in all shapes and sizes. Some are competent, some are not. Some are honest, some are not. Some are righteous, some are bandits. What they have in common is a license. The license is a ticket to a decent living or permission to steal.

If the licensed contractor is inept, inexperienced and clueless, every dollar taken is a stolen dollar. I have encountered all stripes; human nature is to remember the demons. Angi's List should have an emoji with horns but alack and alas, making the list is making money. Angi makes money, the contractor makes money, the AHJ makes money.....it's a crap shoot if that money bought anything worthwhile.

There are contractors that care about their fellow man. They know where they are headed. Their best is good enough and they deliver it always. You can find them on a tiger's list....for free. But then of course you would have to know a tiger and the tiger would have to like you*.....a tiger's list that's exclusive....you can't buy a seat on a Tiger list.

*Bad people tend to attract likewise, bad people.

Last edited:
An unlicensed contractor, for example, will be unable to obtain any building permits or other permits that are required for a specific task. It has a lot of benefits from my experience, and it's always good to have. To find more about how to get a license and how the prices vary, just read that article which has all the necessary information.