• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What happened to my certifications? ICC!!!!!

FyrBldgGuy

Silver Member
I went online to ICC to renew my membership... because they let me know with a number of e-mails that my membership was due. So I check my certifications... because I am a Certified Member. AND no certifications.

Oh, well they expired a couple of months ago. No notifications from ICC about the expirations. So I have to go in and GUESS WHAT for an ADDITIOINAL FEE they will let me renew. Got me there didn't they.

AND I didn't get a free code book.

Wish I was going to DENVER.

please give Lizzy a call with the icc. Excellent lady. If anybody can help she can and will. 1-888-422-7233 extention#5227

% % %

FyrBldgGuy,

Agree with jp! Ms. Lizzie is a bright spot in the whole ICC debacle.

She is a "Can Do" type person. She's a "mover and a shaker"! :)

Also, try Ms. Autumn Saylor, ...if she is still there! She's a good

one too!

% % %

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the information. I have read other posts with similar problems... It was just my turn.

Expired certifications is your fault not ICC's...

There are plenty of things to dump on ICC about, this is not one. One of the requirements of being ICC certified is renewing them on time with the required CEU's.

If I were you, I would thanking ICC for allowing you to renew expired certificatioms with a fee rather than making you take the exams all over again.

In short, take some resposnibility for yourself...

Thanks for the MUD .. BP... from the Gulf

IF they can send me a message to get my money for membership, then why can't they send me an message to renew my certs.

But lets tell more of the Certification story. I can spend a lot of time getting CEUs. In fact I went to the hearings at Rochester, Palm Springs and Minnesota. After spending all of that time and money I could get my CEU's by taking a 25 question test over the internet. WOW, now I know how to save money.

Had a co-worker take the Plans Examiner test, and even though he has never reviewed plans in his life - and during his test he did not have to review plans, but now he is an ICC certified plans examiner. It must be all about the money.

Yes, Yes, Yes it is all my fault.

ICC... I miss ICBO and BOCA. Not so much Southern

The SBCCI was an extremely well oiled organization. Lots of friendly, knowledgeable people,

good instructors, availability of the staff was good, courteous operators.

Overall, I would give them an "A".

Bryan Holland said:
Expired certifications is your fault not ICC's...There are plenty of things to dump on ICC about, this is not one. One of the requirements of being ICC certified is renewing them on time with the required CEU's.

If I were you, I would thanking ICC for allowing you to renew expired certificatioms with a fee rather than making you take the exams all over again.

In short, take some resposnibility for yourself...
I agree with Bryan on this one.

This happened to me with Pennsylvania. They DO NOT send out certification renewals and mine had expired. I had to retest and they even gave me a new number. I could not even get my old number back. I whined about them not notifying me but I am taking responsibility because I should have known when they were going to expire.

Big Willie said:
The SBCCI was an extremely well oiled organization. Lots of friendly, knowledgeable people,good instructors, availability of the staff was good, courteous operators.

Overall, I would give them an "A".
I Agree 100%

If there is agreement that ICC should not have to inform certified safety professionals when a certification is about to expire, then there should also be agreement that ICC should not have to send out notifications when membership is about to expire. I do realize that certifications only come due once every three years and membership is annual. So eliminating the notification regarding membership should reduce the overall burden on the ICC by a significant factor. Communication should not be an important function for a membership based organization that has a focus on getting people certified.

Sorry about the whole SBCCI thing. Just hate getting attacked after expressing a concern.

FyrBldgGuy,

Please do not take offense from anyone, ...none is intended.

But there is a certain amount of personal responsibility

involved on yours, and mine, and everyone else' part. I also

believe that "Big Willie" [ whoever they are ], or Bryan H. did

not intened to attack or belittle you or your certifications

lapsing.

You DO realize who you are having to deal with don't you,

...The [ Cash ] Cow! Yes, it's all about the money, and NOT

you, or me, or anyone else, other than the elitists who are

driving The Cash Cow in to the ground.

If possible, try to look at your recent misfortune as a gift.

What if you had to go back and retest? That would,

...like seriously hurt, or something!

FyrBldgGuy,

Sorry if it seemed like I was attacking you. I wasn't! It was

a bad attempt at some forum humor. I apologize if I

offended you.

NFPA and States I'm familiar with send out renewal notifications within 30 days of expiration. Just my personal opinion but I believe this is a customer service practice since the renewal costs are so high. With 18 professional certifications; ICC's are the only ones who don't send reminders. Since day one I practice filing reminders in Outlook and prior to Outlook it was on the household and office calendars. No offense to anyone and I agree with MT on SBCCI also :)

I would agree that notification of certification expiration (tion, tion & tion) is a customer service that we really have come to rely on from almost all contacts we have. Driver's license, Lions Club membership, NFPA renewal, computer firewall, professional org's, etc. The ICC should always send out renewal notices. While I am not always in agreement with ICC policies and practices, I will say that they were spot on for my renewal notice. I have a letter dated August 3, 2010, announcing my renewals needed prior to July 19, 2011. Maybe others have also recieved notice 11 months early and misplaced it. I dunno.

our certifications belong to us individually. There is no benefit to them to try to track them (since many expire at different times), and no public safety issue (like a driver's license) driving the ICC train. It IS to their benefit to remind us when our membership is going to expire, since I'm sure that membership makes up part of their projected budget... just like all membership driven organizations.

You don't have to be an ICC member to maintain certifications.

Just thinkin'

Well, I got a letter from the ICC with my certification cards. And in the letter they make it very clear that my certifications are my responsibility and not the ICC. They don't care if I renew or not. So thats the bottom line. It is my responsibility.

Thanks for all the comments. And I really didn't get offended by anyone, but my Irish comes out at times.

Good day to all.

Do you have to keep them current? I keep my PA certification current by taking the required CEU's, but I have not bothered with the ICC paperwork. Does your State have requirements that you must meet? I hope I am not wrong, but I do not see any reason to keep my ICC certifications current.

JAR, I also had mistakenly let my PA certs expire, but was able to get the required CEUs and pay the registration within the year, so I did not loose them completely.

Enginerd,

FWIW, I would strongly recommend that you DO keep your ICC certs.

current. ICC's certs. may be more easily recognized / accepted

than PA's certs.

Just an FYI, and maybe a heads up. I did get a letter informing me that my certs are going to expire in six months, which I was keeping track of. Anyway, I went to the ICC site and after logging in, none of my certs showed up. So, I remembered this thread and came back and grabbed Lizzie's number. Yes, she is excellent, very friendly and helpful. Had me fixed up in no time. I had two different registrations on the site, different addresses. She merged the records, now I'm all fixed up.

After she figured it out, I told her that she came highly recommended on a site I visit, she kinda laughed and said "oh really, what site?" I told her it was a code forum that spun off after the ICC site change, she kinda chuckled and said, "oh, the alternate site.."

Kinda funny........anyway, she is great to work with.

Ya you bet alternative. It is a heck of a lot easier to order code books from Amazon.com then the cow site. Million dollar month my back side. Not from their piece of junk, dial-up, snail slow, confusing, frustrating, confusing, user unfriendly site. :cowboy

I'd definitely keep them current. I tested with ICBO in 1986-1987, have kept them current. I don't want to have to sit through "the original round" of exams again. ICC has a long list of acceptable ways to get CEU's. It's well worth it.

CEU's by test?

FyrBldgGuy said:
Thanks for the MUD .. BP... from the GulfIF they can send me a message to get my money for membership, then why can't they send me an message to renew my certs.

But lets tell more of the Certification story. I can spend a lot of time getting CEUs. In fact I went to the hearings at Rochester, Palm Springs and Minnesota. After spending all of that time and money I could get my CEU's by taking a 25 question test over the internet. WOW, now I know how to save money.

Had a co-worker take the Plans Examiner test, and even though he has never reviewed plans in his life - and during his test he did not have to review plans, but now he is an ICC certified plans examiner. It must be all about the money.

Yes, Yes, Yes it is all my fault.

ICC... I miss ICBO and BOCA. Not so much Southern
Fill me in! :banghd Do you have a website or link?

Thanks,

Billy