• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is it?

ICE

Oh Well
It is in a residential attic. I came across it while inspecting the furnace. All of the wire is energized at above 100 volts.

# ~ # ~ #

Kinda reminds me of a very early Lighting Control Panel.

# ~ # ~ #

# ~ # ~ #Kinda reminds me of a very early Lighting Control Panel.

# ~ # ~ #
I had that thought too. Those look like starters. The house has can lights and not many of them.

& = & = &

They may not have many can lights today, but in yesteryear,

they may have had a whole lot of decorative, exterior lights.

Just sayin'...

A "very early" Lighting Control Panel is my vote.

Also, ...is that a Step Up Transformer mounted on the side ?

& + & + &

Classic example of the value in having a pre-purchase inspection performed.

Amazing mishmash and early example of "ingenuity?"

Date it by fabric wrapped wire, later use of differing types of plastic connectors.

Where is the shutoff panel located?

How far is this from the attic access?

It looks like low-voltage lighting controls. The little cylinders sticking out of the sides would be relays. The wiring outside the box should be 12 or 24 volt, and looped from switch to switch. There was often a master switch, sometimes in the bedroom, that would control all the lights.

Our house is late 1950s and has the fabric-wrapped Romex.