• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is the clearance minimum between standard lavatories?

David Meza

I know I need an 18" clearance between lav center and wall, and 18" between same lav and next adjacent lav, what about for next set of lavatories in a commercial multi user restroom (in California)?

For a row of lavatories, where the accessible lavatory is on the end next to a side wall, you are correct that there must be knee and toe space of 18" from the centerline of lavatory to the adjacent side wall, and 15" on the other side, a total of 33" width. Interestingly , the way the code (11B-606.2 and 606.6) is written, the next adjacent nonaccessible lav could butt right up to the accessible lav, as long as it does not interfere with the 33" wide knee and toe space below.

Regarding spacing of lavatories in general:
International Plumbing code 405.3.1 says 30" on center for non-accessible lavatories. However, in California our adopted California Plumbing Code (CPC) is based on the UPC, not the IPC.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the CPC mentions side-to-side clearances between adjacent lavatory sinks. It does say that when you have a group sink, you can assume 20" width per person, but I don't know if that implies permission to mount a bunch of single-user lavatory bowls at 20" o/c.

407.0 Lavatories
407.1 Application

Lavatories shall comply with ASME A112.19.1/CSA B45.2, ASME A112.19.2/CSA B45.1, ASME A112.19.3/CSA B45.4, ASME A112.19.12, CSA B45.5/IAPMO Z124, CSA B45.8/IAPMO Z403, CSA B45.11/IAPMO Z401 or CSA B45.12/IAPMO Z402. Group wash fixtures shall comply with the requirements of Section 401.2. Every 20 inches (508 mm) of rim space of a group wash fixture shall be considered as one lavatory for determining the number of lavatories required in accordance with Table 422.1. Lavatory assemblies with automatic soap dispensers, faucets, or hand dryers shall comply with IAPMO IGC 127.

There's a also a mention of clearances in front of lavatories, but not side-to-side:

402.5 Setting
Fixtures shall be set level and in proper alignment with reference to adjacent walls. No water closet or bidet shall be set closer than 15 inches (381 mm) from its center to a side wall or obstruction or closer than 30 inches (762 mm) center to center to a similar fixture. The clear space in front of a water closet, lavatory, or bidet shall be not less than 24 inches (610 mm). No urinal shall be set closer than 12 inches (305 mm) from its center to a side wall or partition or closer than 24 inches (610 mm) center to center.
Exception: The installation of paper dispensers or accessibility grab bars shall not be considered obstructions.