• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is the Fire Rating for a low roof?

kas

Existing 3 story 12 inch thick brick bearing wall, wood framed- mixed use - 2 floor residential over commercial space under going change of occupancy Mercantile to Business.

Under IEBC, change to lower hazard, the existing rating of exterior walls is ok.

Low roof rating?

The first floor goes from side to side property lines. 2nd and 3rd have inset 5x10 courts to give light to windows.
Would like to run grease and make up air duct work from 1st floor thru the roof/floor of one of those courts up side of building to new equipment on roof.

Existing parapet is 12 inches high.

How to figure out the fire rating of that roof?

Thanks

So.....The exterior walls are party walls? What are their fire ratings? 10' back 1hour rating rings a bell (for stepped buildings), but I would have to spend some time looking....Ch. 7 is your friend...

rlga-

39 ft tall
ground floor - 1746 sf
2nd/3rd 1631 sf each

steveray

they are zero lot line walls.

the interplay between the IBC and IEBC and required ratings is tricky.

IEBC-under chapter 10, change of occupancy- bc lesser hazard, ext wall fire resistance is accepted.By adding the duct penetrations, I am not changing the existing wall/roof.

IBC-
existing walls are 12 inch brick- assume min 2 hr

if consider the existing construction 5B- meet area and height but not story.
3B- meet both-

roof as 0hr either 3b or 5b
walls need to be 1hr bc of distance from property line

i am being told that bc parapet is less than 30 inches, the low roof needs to be 1hr rather than 0 hr