• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What is the minimum size of a trap arm for a bathtub?

jar546

Forum Coordinator
According to the 2018 International Plumbing Code, Section 709.3 "Size of Fixture Drains", the minimum size of a trap arm for a bathtub is 1-1/2 inches in diameter. Is this correct?

2018 International Plumbing Code, Section 709.3 "Size of Fixture Drains"
Are you trying to put a trick question out here or what?

Per my book...

2018 IPC 709.3 Conversion of GPM Flow to DFU Values

Where discharges to a waste receptor or to a drainage system are only known in gallons per minute (liters per second) values, the drainage fixture unit values for those flows shall be computed on the basis that 1 gpm (0.06 L/s) of flow is equivalent to two drainage fixture units.

For the correct reference...

2018 IPC Table 709.1 - Drainage Fixture Units for Fixtures and Groups
FIXTURE TYPE
DRAINAGE FIXTURE UNIT
VALUE AS LOAD FACTORS
MINIMUM SIZE OF TRAP
(inches)
Bathtub ^b (with or without overhead shower or whirlpool attachments)
1-1/2
^b A showerhead over a bathtub or whirlpool bathtub attachment does not increase the drainage fixture unit value.

And for those who follow the UPC...

2018 UPC Table 702.1 Drainage Fixture Unit Values
PLUMBING APPLIANCES, APPURTENANCES, OR FIXTURES
MINIMUM SIZE TRAP AND TRAP ARM ^7
(inches)
PRIVATE
PUBLIC
ASSEMBLY ^8
Bathtub or Combination Bath/Shower
1-1/2
--

And for those who follow the UPC...
Under the UPC, the tub trap arm may be 1-1/2", but once the vent comes off, any horizontal drain carrying the tub has to be at least 2". A 1-1/2" drain is good for 2 DFU vertically (with some limitations) but only 1 DFU horizontally, and a tub is 2 DFU.

Cheers, Wayne

Per Table 709.1, bathtubs have a dfu load of 2 and require a minimum 1-1/2" trap. Table 710.1(2) permits 3 dfu on a 1-1/2" horizontal branch, so I will say a 1-1/2" minimum trap arm is the answer.

I remember that 2" was the minimum size for waste piping under a slab, but I can't find it npw. Maybe it's a requirement that was dropped but I continue to use as good practice.