• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

what is with the short timeout

tbz

Silver Member
Jeff,

Need to ask, every time I log in and go to a thread, if I take more than 3 minutes the system times out and I have to log back in.

What is going on, or should I ask what am I doing wrong it is driving me crazy.

Tom

I have not had that problem. I'm on a router & satellite dish that is anything but fast. If Jeff doesn't see this thread for a response you might want to pm him? I wonder if there is something going on with your computer? I'm not a computer geek. Wish I could help more.

This time out happens to me after around 7 minutes when composing thoughts on Word (spell check :) ) I just got use to it but would like to know how to avoid it.

Can not duplicate, have not had that problem since moved to the new server. No reports of problems with the new server company. All is well with our software and server.

I think you guys need to remember that your isp, computer, software, and browser can all create issues. Or even a combination of them.

jar546 said:
I think you guys need to remember that your isp, computer, software, and browser can all create issues. Or even a combination of them.
Nope, its your fault Jeff. ;) :D

Got to be OP's browser, no problems here at all.

Jeff,

If you noticed my post I did ask what I might be doing wrong!

The thing is, it just happens with this site, the other 5 BB I frequent I don't have this ghost throwing up doors.

So I will keep my quest going,

Tom

FM William Burns said:
This time out happens to me after around 7 minutes when composing thoughts on Word (spell check :) ) I just got use to it but would like to know how to avoid it.
Chrome, Opera, and Firefox all have spell check built in. Iespell can be added into Internet explorer but unlike the other browsers you have to manually check the spelling.

Happens to me all the time...very frustrating...might be the individual's ISP maybe?

What, if anything, would "Paid Subscriptions" have to do with it?

Do donations have anything to do with it?

Having the issue on my computers as well.

Regularly use both Chrome & IE.

Two ISPs even - Qwest & AT&T (cellular).

Happens to me all the time because I type less than 20-25 words a min. but my girls type 130+ and text using their thumbs! I can't operate a mircowave any faster either!

pc1

I have no idea what you are referring to! I though a time out was when I get really P***ed off and through the code books across the room and I have to leave for a while!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one example Rjj!

heck the darn thing still happens to me all the time and I love the words per minute post by the way....... that's me to a tee. I just got use to it and copy everthing before I click submit. Oh, I also like when it happens I dont get re-directed back to the thread or the site...seems to just put me in cyber space. I have to go back to Favs and re-log on. Oh well I'm not complainting....Jeff may fly by and dump on me :)

Check the "Remember Me" box. If you don't have this box checked you will time out.

I have "Remember Me" checked on my main computer and never time out. On my other computer I log in each time (no "Remember Me") and it times out like you stated.

On the other computer I have just gotten in the habit of Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy my post to clipboard before posting. That way if it gets bounced to the login screen I can just login and paste it.

I have NEVER been timed out and sometimes I start a response and have to leave for an hour or so. I come back and the post is still there.

Like TimNY I have the "Remember Me" box checked. Very seldom do I even have to log in when I open the program. I'm one of those that only shut my computer off when I leave on Friday PM.

Okay...I'm going to experiment here. I'm going to leave this post open and typing in the "Quick Reply" box. when I hit the Post Quick Reply I will let you know how long I left the post. It is now 8:38 AM my time.

Okay...back from getting my sweet tea from Quick Trip... Now 11:14 AM

I was not having the time out problem when this thread first came up but......now I am and it is frustrating. As with others, no other site I visis does this so I am assuming it is a problem with this site but I am not a computer geek.

TimNY said:
Check the "Remember Me" box. If you don't have this box checked you will time out.I have "Remember Me" checked on my main computer and never time out. On my other computer I log in each time (no "Remember Me") and it times out like you stated.

On the other computer I have just gotten in the habit of Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C to copy my post to clipboard before posting. That way if it gets bounced to the login screen I can just login and paste it.
This worked for me :)