• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What life safety precaution can I take for this building situation?

cboucher

I have an existing 2-story concrete building and I want to put a light well to get light into the first floor from above. What would be the best life safety measure I can employ? A sprinkler? Fire rated wall?

Probably nothing--at worst, fire-rated construction. You can have a 2-story opening without any type of fire-rated construction or sprinkler system. Without the details of the building construction type, floor area, occupancy group(s), or the adopted IBC edition. There is not much more we can provide. I suggest looking at the "Vertical Openings" section in Chapter 7 of the IBC (Section 712 in the 2018 IBC) to see what are your options.