• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What occupancy is a homeless shelter?

Mac Moonfire

SAWHORSE
The homeless shelter has several private bedrooms and some with bunkbeds, common living areas, kitchens, etc. Each floor has staff 24/7. no treatment.
I'm going for a B3 - Care occupancy
How would other AHJ classify them?
Thanks

Hi Mac

I believe B3 is the correct choice. I think it is a very similar facility to assisted or supported living.

I'd not consider this a B occupancy. I'd go for a C = residential. What's the difference between this and a hotel or a hostel? None, really.

B3 is a particularly restrictive occupancy classification, with sprinklers, part 3 engineering, etc. I highly doubt there is any care taking place, so it doesn't meet the test of a care or custodial.

I'd call it C. 45-min fire seps as required, alarm if more than 10 people.

I was thinking B3 because many of the occupants will be dealing with physical disabilities, mental health and addiction issues, much like a supportive housing situation.
I can also see residential because it has similarities to a dormitory.

I was thinking B3 because many of the occupants will be dealing with physical disabilities, mental health and addiction issues, much like a supportive housing situation.
I can also see residential because it has similarities to a dormitory.
I've got a bylaw enforcement issue at an apartment right now, and given the derelict vehicles and debris floating about I'm damn sure there are mental health issues. The many vibrant and healthy pot plants growing in a garden between the derelict vehicles suggests there may be addiction issues - but it's a four-unit, C apartment.

Physical disabilities would be addressed through NBC 3.8 (or regional equivalents*) to provide at least one barrier-free suite if there are more than three/four* units if at ground level or accessible by elevator, and if so kitchens, and some bathrooms - including showers - would need to be barrier-free in a C occupancy.

IF there is no treatment being provided, it's not a B occupancy. If it's a supportive housing situation, then yes, B occupancy. That's up for the client to declare.

*Depending on NBC, OBC, BCBC, or NB Reg 2012-03

I just went through this process with a supportive housing project, which is clearly within B3. I agree the homeless shelter is less clear, and could be a residential. Sometimes these things are hard to definitively place in an occupancy classification.

Good stuff guys. It seems homeless shelters could be either B3 or C.
The building i've been referring to is a BC housing facility that could fall under part 9 if of C occupancy. occupant load is higher than 10, and a 1hr fire separation with a small D occupancy (A2 restaurant under 30 occupants)
Reading BC Housing's website on "supportive housing", It describes the type of services offered. https://www.bchousing.org/housing-assistance/housing-with-support/supportive-housing
1690383714581.png Thanks for the input gentlemen

I just realized: it might be worth reading 9.10.2.2 in NBC 2020 to see where the Code is going on such things. 9.10.2.2 essentially relaxes some small flavours of care occupancies to move them out of Part 3 (ie: B) into C (part 9) occupancies.

Would also be worth checking in with your OFM on how they treat these things.

The real crux of these issues is the level of self preservation of the occupants. This is both from a cognitive standpoint (do they understand that there is an emergency and what they should do) and a physical standpoint (can they move under their own power to the exit).

The question to answer is: in an emergency, what do the staff do? If they just leave, then you have a C occupancy. If they need to go room to room and make sure everyone has left and help those that have not, it is a B occupancy.

Same issue with nursing facilities.

The real crux of these issues is the level of self preservation of the occupants. This is both from a cognitive standpoint (do they understand that there is an emergency and what they should do) and a physical standpoint (can they move under their own power to the exit).

The question to answer is: in an emergency, what do the staff do? If they just leave, then you have a C occupancy. If they need to go room to room and make sure everyone has left and help those that have not, it is a B occupancy.

Same issue with nursing facilities.
I agree. So where would you put the homeless shelter?

If it is "just" a homeless shelter, I would say C.

I would only go with B if they are specializing in cognitive issues or people with severe mobility issues.

OFM?

Seems we agree that part of the determination between B3 or C for a homeless shelter is to be determined on a case by case with the applicant.
Thank you gentlemen

OFM?

Seems we agree that part of the determination between B3 or C for a homeless shelter is to be determined on a case by case with the applicant.
Thank you gentlemen
Office of the Fire Marshal.

A neighouring AHJ had a homeless shelter establish in the basement of a Part 3 building this winter. I know the OFM was involved. Would be interesting to see how they classified it.

We have a homeless camp directly outside our municipal office, and boy oh boy the things I see. Police and ambulance are there daily, usually for drug overdoses, but often violence.