• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What To Do, What To Do......Fire Damaged Home (long)

Alias

Local family had a fire on March 24th. This is the third fire at their property, the second fire was the garage, and I wasn't here for the first. This fire was in the front bedroom, and appears to have been electrical. Our local volunteer fire department got the fire out in a couple hours and cut a hole in the roof. The power was cut to the house at the time of the fire.

Here is what is happening and causing me a HUGE headache. A week after the fire, on Caesar Chavez Day, the 31st, while I was running errands I noticed a pick-up with racks at the home in question. I had the day off, got in to work on Friday and got the message from an out-of-town electrical contractor. Called him and got him squared away with a permit, city business license, etc. He subcontracts with Clean Rite Build Rite who were contacted by the insurance company to clean-up the aftermath of the fire. Temporary power was granted and hooked up last Friday.

Today, my boss and I were talking about how there has been no progress on the clean-up so I called Clean Rite Build Rite to ask if they had any questions, if they have a timeline to have the property cleaned up, need building permits, etc. We found out that they have quit the job due to conditions inside the house. He required his employee(s) to wear protective clothing due to the piles of dog feces, rats, and stacks of 'stuff'. The foregoing was bad enough but when the employee(s) found hypodermic needles in the bathroom and burned bedroom in the house, the clean-up was over by Clean Rite Build Rite.

So, my boss, the Director of Public Works; the Chief of Police; the Environmental Health guy; and myself made a call to the insurance adjuster. Our worst fears have been realized, the family has decided to do the clean-up and all the repairs themselves (including electrical). There isn't a contractor in the bunch and there are several small children involved.

We have serious concerns that this project will ever be completed, done correctly, etc., etc., etc. The reason for the concern on our local AHJ is because we have sent them nuisance abatement notices every year since 2005, and I sent out a couple notices in the late 90's. These folks are hoarders and never throw anything away. The city cleaned-up the front and back yards in 2007. It took all day, the entire public works crew of 5 plus the asst. DPW, the DPW, the Chief and Lieutenant of PD; 7 dump trucks of 'stuff' went to the dump; plus animal control seized the dog chained in the back yard. So, this is the history and the dilemma we face.

Your opinion please!

How do we make sure that the property gets cleaned up and rehabbed/demolished/etc.?

I'm considering red-tagging the property to be sure the property is cleaned up in a timely manner using the IPMC, probably tomorrow.

As the original contractor has been fired, I suspended the temporary electrical permit today and power has been cut. My one requirement and the power company lineman's was that ALL electrical work be performed by a licensed CA electrician. My reasoning is that the permit is under the original electrician's name and license.

Any and all (reasonable) suggestions on how to proceed will be entertained. Thanks for listening and sorry for the long post.

Moderator, please move if necessary.

wow... is that weird.. my post didn't post..

anyway.. call children's services to get the kids removed from the house.. that's usually pretty easy to do especially if you have pictures of the conditions.

It's also a big hammer in your hand to guarantee repairs and continued maintenance.. it get's the child welfare people involved on an on-going basis.

I'd start condemnation proceedings, because the police can charge them with endangering the welfare of a child.. and their new home will be jail..

Agree with peach on child protective services. Had a couple jobs that I inspected where they would not allow the children back into the structure until alot of items were corrected. Look into the unsafe/substandard portions of any local ordinances and get the backing of legal counsel. I have had to present a case to a judge who confirmed the order and established deadlines for compliance. Pictures and documentation go a long way here. One case, our local Board of Safety served as mediator and established guidelines for compliance or legal action was going to be initiated. Prompted owner to comply without being too strong armed, but point was made. The right of a homeowner to do their own work does not eliminate the requirement for code compliance (in most cases). If there continues to be problems, I would consider a document recorded at the records office indicating all the violations and the substandard statement by the building department. This will serve as a heads up for anyone that might purchase in the future or a mortgage company (if they are foolish enough to request a mortgage).

If you have law enforcement on your side, you can use a combination of the IMPC and local police regs to 'abate' the substandard, 'dangerous' situation. Problem is that the wheels of justice turn very slowly. In the past three months I've had two similar situations: 1) 86 year old woman who lived in a 1950s mobile home, without heat, water, electricity, and sanitary facilities; the bathtub was full of feces and urine, the toilet was packed solid with feces, there was trash knee deep, the roof leaked. The police took her into custody for a 'mental hold' and asked me to condemn the house. That one was a slam dunk: notice and order; relatives to deal with; woman went from the hospital to a nursing home. Trailer was demolished. The ending: she died about six weeks later. Sad ending. 2) Complaint about odor in an upstairs apartment. Police responded and found a woman living with 20 dogs who hadn't seen the light of day for a few years; basement with 2 feet of water. That lady [age 56] was hauled off to the hospital for a mental hold, but she was also very ill. Property Mangement company had a major clean-up job, but no structural problems. No notice and order. One now-homeless woman. Twenty dogs went to the shelter. It probably smells a lot better for the upstairs tenant now.

The upshot: City attorney, Police Chief, myself, and three inspectors all had a hand in correcting the situations. Sometimes the outcomes are not the best, but they are better than the horrid existing conditions. The Fire Marshal was also keen to have the nuisances cleared up. If you have adopted the IPMC you have a powerful tool that takes some time to effect but holds the methods for abatement.

You have my sympathies because I know these are extremely stressful situations. Do your job and sleep well. THat's all you can do.

Carol in the Wilds of Idaho.

Carol -

Thanks for info. I have adopted the IPMC, even though I am in CA. I have actually held off to see what was going to happen with the insurance adjuster and the arson investigation. This one is a tough one because I am fairly certain the existing condition of the house had a correlation with fire that occurred about a month ago. Check the similar thread that I posted on this site under off topic posts:

http://www.inspectpa.com/forum/showthread.php?4871-What-To-Do-What-To-Do......Fire-Damaged-Home-(long)