• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

whats your take on this Code difference

linnrg

Sawhorse
BTW I am under the UPC and I do enforce the installation of the air gap.

UPC World

“807.3 Domestic Dishwashing Machine. No domestic dishwashing machine shall be directly connected to a drainage system or food waste disposer without the use of an approved dishwasher airgap fitting on the discharge side of the dishwasher machine. Listed air gaps shall be installed with the flood-level (FL) marking at or above the flood level of the sink or drainboard, whichever is higher.”

IRC World (2018)

P2717 Dishwashing Machines

P2717.1 Protection of water supply. The water supply to a

dishwasher shall be protected against backflow by an air gap

complying with ASME A112.1.3 or A112.1.2 that is installed

integrally within the machine or a backflow preventer in

accordance with Section P2902.

P2717.2 Sink and dishwasher. The combined discharge

from a dishwasher and a one- or two-compartment sink, with

or without a food-waste disposer, shall be served by a trap of

not less than 11/2 inches (38 mm) in outside diameter. The

dishwasher discharge pipe or tubing shall rise to the underside

of the counter and be fastened or otherwise held in that

position before connecting to the head of the food-waste disposer

or to a wye fitting in the sink tailpiece.

In my mind, the UPC wants an air gap in the sanitary line. The IRC wants an air gap or backflow preventer in the potable water line but has no requirement for an air gap in the sanitary line.

Click here for an image.