• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

What's your title?

mjesse

Due to budgetary reasons, the Chief Building Code Official (my boss) position was eliminated early this year. The Permit Clerk position was also vacated, and not rehired.

I (Building Inspector) am now handling all of the administrative duties associated with my former boss' job as well as mine. The department secretary and I are sharing the Clerk's duties.

My position now consists of front desk coverage, application processing, plan reviews, permit issuance, inspections, code enforcement, archiving etc.

The Community Development Director is looking to create a new job title for me (but not a promotion) and I am looking for some input.

I've never been one to put a lot of weight into a "title" per se, but, should the time come to find another job in the future, I'm thinking it may be wise to have some input into what this title consists of.

"Building Inspector" is pretty self explanatory but doesn't really describe my current responsibilities.

"Permit and Inspection Coordinator" has been suggested, but honestly sounds a little weak (non-professional)

Looking forward to some suggestions from the gang here.

Thanks,

mj

If you are the final say in how the codes are applied/interpreted then you are the Acting Building Official if not then you are the Building Code Administrator

Jack (short for jack of all trades)

Building Code Official would get my vote as well, but then they would have to lay you off as well because they cant afford to pay you for what you're actually doing :-(

Never could understand but I'm a Building Inspector/Plans Examiner II. If it was the other way around then when they get to review pay (real long shot for the next three years) it would make a difference.

You sound like Acting BO to me.

New York State has two 'official' titles. Code Enforcement Official and Code Compliance Technician. CEO is qualified for all duties related to enforcement of the NYS Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code, a CCT is limited to inspections of existing buildings and structures.

I think what is more important (and relevant to future options) is an accurate statement of what your duties are/were during your employment.

You are doing the job of a Building Official, so I would say "Acting Building Official". You don't want to create a Title that SHOULD garner a better salary without getting that salary. "Acting" should allow them to pay you less but give you the credit you deserve. I would think that whatever they title you has to fit in with the State Muni System Job titles and pay grades, doesn't it? If you do other enforcement (zoning and housing for instance) you could be the Code Compliance/Enforcement Director but I think that is a wider scope of authority than Building Official.

mjesse,

Assistant Development Director or Building Official or codes administrator!

I did not see flood plain administrator in your duties? What does your community development director do? Sounds like that job should have gone first, not much development going on!

mtlogcabin said:
If you are the final say in how the codes are applied/interpreted then you are the Acting Building Official if not then you are the Building Code Administrator
Agree with mt, the Chapter 1 of the ICC codes should give you some insight. At a minimum, someone should be a Building Official, and the duties you have listed are all described as those performed by 'the building official' in the ICC codes. R103.1 of the IRC: The department of building safety is hereby created and the official in charge thereof shall be known as the building official. R103.3 discusses deputy building officials, and all other departmental employees. R104 describes the duties and powers of the building official. I would see if you have that level of authorization.

Building Inspector/Zoning Administrator

I serve as a contractor, no bennies no nada, I bill the City Clerk weekly by the hour. I am just a cut above the guys hanging out at the Home Depot parking lot in sleeveless shirts to display los brazos fuertes.

Mac said:
"Assistant Director of Community Development"?
Haha, that's my favorite so far!

Papio Bldg Dept said:
Agree with mt, the Chapter 1 of the ICC codes should give you some insight. At a minimum, someone should be a Building Official, and the duties you have listed are all described as those performed by 'the building official' in the ICC codes. R103.1 of the IRC: The department of building safety is hereby created and the official in charge thereof shall be known as the building official. R103.3 discusses deputy building officials, and all other departmental employees. R104 describes the duties and powers of the building official. I would see if you have that level of authorization.
You and MT make a good point. If not me, then who??

PCI1, our engineering department handles floodplain issues.

Fyr, Tell me about it. After some upcoming retirements, this place will be a ghost town!

mj

Codes czar sounds better I think or

the Indian name: "Make'em do a jig dude!"

pc1