• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

when is a handrail continuous?

bgingras

So here is the dilemma. I've built a staircase between 2 walls that don't run the full length of the stairs. The first 5 treads with no wall on the left or right, just the guard/hand rail starting at a newel The handrail/guardrail terminates into the wall ends at step 5. After the wall there are an additional 6 treads. I've seen several interpretations to the continuous handrail requirement. The first states that I can attach a handrail to the wall at tread #5 and go up from there and that the fact that this handrail does not attach directly to the handrail/guardrail from tread 1-5 doesn't matter. The other one states that I must run a handrail from the newel at the base of the stairs all the way to the top basically running it inside the guardrail so as to form a 1 piece handrail with no break from step 1 - 11. I've yet to actually see a picture of a stair built like this. Anyway, which one is correct? both? I'm also an inspector, but was taught to allow the first one. The inspector in the town I'm building in right now likes to read the code letter for letter while inspecting.

View attachment 1290

View attachment 1290

/monthly_2010_05/DSC03509.jpg.0215296c7ce2d7c72038222edab26daa.jpg

Re: when is a handrail continuous?

My interpretation is that the handrail must be continuous the full length of the stairway. Top to bottom no breaks in the handrail. I have seen it interpreted otherwise in other jurisdictions.

thanks guys. Love the visual. It took me a couple days to find where this site was after I found the ICC destroyed the other one :)

Welcome home! And, I agree with the prior answers. Continuous means not interrupted. If there were a landing between steps 5 & 6 then you could have a break in the handrail.

I have to agree with the others. The handrail must be continuous unless there is a landing present.

The only time it can be broken-up is when and if it hits a 36" x 36" landing, if one run then it must be continious.

FWIW, I agree, continuous from a landing to a landing...........

I'll post finished pics as well. The handrail will wrap around the wall as diagrammed above. But I'm also turning at a landing and have several more bends to make in the rail. Fun fun.

Remember, if there is a full sized 'landing', you can terminate and then restart the rail at the next riser.

And yes, it is a nice looking set of stairs. I like the filligree (sp?) work.

landing 42x42 with herring bone floor, but then 90 degree turn to the left. Railing will look much better as all one piece, although a bit of a challenge to construct.