• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When is a railing required around a mechanical pit?

redbird11

SAWHORSE
Commercial Construction. I have a large mechanical pit that is 19 inches lower than the surrounding floor? Am I required to have a railing? What it the reference to cite? OSHA? IBC?

Commercial Construction. I have a large mechanical pit that is 19 inches lower than the surrounding floor? Am I required to have a railing? What it the reference to cite? OSHA? IBC?
Check out section 1015 Gaurds in the IBC. The upshot of it is that until you get to a 30" drop, you don't need a guardrail according to the IBC.

Because nothing is required does not mean it's not a good idea to help people avoid an 18" fall. I'd suggest at the very least marking (paint or tape on edge) and sufficient lighting to see it. Signage at the entrance that there is a hazard would help. You've recognized it is a hazard. Help others avoid injuries.

Is this a mechanical space, or is it open to the public?

Although IBC doesn't require protection for a drop less than 30", it would be prudent to provide a railing if the space is open to the public.

OSHA would apply to spaces only used by employees, but 1910.28(b)(1)(i) only requires protection when the drop is 4 ft. or more. I concur with bill1952's recommendation to paint the edge safety yellow.