1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

When is an exception not an exception?

Discussion in 'Residential Seismic' started by KZQuixote, Nov 9, 2010.

1. KZQuixote

KZQuixote Sawhorse

Hi Folks,

I'm stumbling on section R301.2.2. Exception says that detached one and two family dwellings in seismic C are exempt from the seismic requirements of this code.

My problem is that section R602.10 is still very much enforced in my city and county.

What is it that I'm missing here?

TIA

Bill

2. KZQuixote

KZQuixote Sawhorse

I see that I should have posted this in the "Residential Building Codes" forum sorry.

Can you move it or is it even necessary?

Thanks

Bill

3. Architect1281

Architect1281 Gold Member

An exception is not an exception when it does not apply to the reason for the lateral bracing

In RI all residences are exempt from Seismic requirements yet all of the bracing requied by 602.10 is required because of the other lateral force induction mechanism.

WIND

4. KZQuixote

KZQuixote Sawhorse

Thanks!

It was right there all the time wasn't it.

Bill