• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

WHEN IS UNISEX or FAMILY RESTROOM REQUIRED

DZArch

Good afternoon everyone, I am designing a restaurant in FL with an occupant load of 300 seats + Staff. I am wondering if there will be a requirement to provide a family or unisex restroom in addition to the male and female separate restrooms we are providing? When are these required and for what occupancies? Thank you for your help!

Not from FL, but from what I can tell is that a family restroom is not required.

[P] 2902.2.1 Family or Assisted-Use Toilet Facilities Serving as Separate Facilities
Where a building or tenant space requires a separate toilet facility for each sex and each toilet facility is required to have only one water closet, two family or assisted-use toilet facilities shall be permitted to serve as the required separate facilities. Family or assisted-use toilet facilities shall not be required to be identified for exclusive use by either sex as required by Section 2902.4.

Look at Section 1109.2.1 (2018 IBC).
FL does not adopt Ch. 11 of the IBC. They use the 2020 FBC -Accessibility. I do not see something similar to IBC 1109.2.1 in FBC-A Section 213 (Toilet and Bathing Facilities). Ch. 2 of the FBC-A contains the scoping requirements.

FL does not adopt Ch. 11 of the IBC. They use the 2020 FBC -Accessibility. I do not see something similar to IBC 1109.2.1 in FBC-A Section 213 (Toilet and Bathing Facilities). Ch. 2 of the FBC-A contains the scoping requirements.
Well then, it looks like there are no provisions requiring family or assisted-use toilet facilities for your project.