• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When setbacks kick in

Bootleg

Silver Member
This question came up today, how high can a structure be before it needs to meet setbacks?

I have always said anything that is over 30" high example: decks, posts for porch roofs, guardrails, stairs, bay windows and garden windows need to meet setbacks.

A planter box less than 30" can be on the front property line, a planter box 36" high needs to meet setbacks.

What's your take?

When a permit is required

If a four foot retaining wall is not required to have a permit then a 31" high planter wall does not need one.

105.2 Work exempt from permit. Exemptions from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for anywork to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Permits shall not be required for the following:

4. Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II or IIIA liquids.

that is unless modified by local codes

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are talking zoning setbacks then it is a local issue. In my jurisdiction if it is attached to a structure and is above grade level it meets zoning setback requirements for that structure. If it is a detached then anything over 30 inches would be required to maintain a 5 ft setback. The exceptions would be fences, retaining walls and landscape items supporting vegatation

If you are talking fire seperation distance then that is a good question.

A fire seperation distance (setback) is for "Any structure used or intended for supporting or sheltering any use or occupancy".

Your planter box example would not be applicable but your other examples may be

Anything that is a structure should meet zoning setbacks. Our definition of a structure "that which is built or constructed with a fixed location on the ground or attached to something having a fixed location on the ground. Structures include but are not limited to a building, swimming pool, billboard, peir, septic system, parking lot/space, and deck. It shall not include a minor installation such as a fence under 6 feet in high a mailbox or flagpole." . . so basically, we allow some items to be up to the property line and some items need to meet the zone setback. You get to decide on your definition and put it in the zoning.

Yes, zoning would count.

In the city I was a planning and zoning commissioner, the setbacks we the same for all the codes.

Would you allow a fixed or portable wheelchair ramp thats below 30" extend out past the setback? Curious

Pcinspector1 said:
Would you allow a fixed or portable wheelchair ramp thats below 30" extend out past the setback? Curious
Yes, as long as it is on the same lot and not in the Right of Way.

Pcinspector1 said:
Are you trying to regulate portable wheelchair ramps?

Bootleg,

I agree. So many wheelchaired residents need a way into thier homes and I know our zoning code does'nt allow structures to protrude into the setback, but I feel a portable ramp that is under 30" and not extending into any right-of-way or sidewalk can be allowed.

Mark,

Only to the point where someone wants to put his adjustable ramp were it would interfere with a persons right to use a public sidewalk. Ok!

Pcinspector1,

I would go one step further and say a permanent ramp on your property and less than 30" can be in the setback.

around here everything must meet setbacks unless it is exempt in the code. Fences and retaining walls under 4' are exempt in our code, among other things.

Exempting based solely on height above grade, regardless of type of structure, is a bad idea imho.

TimNY,

I see you point.

It's what I use to I guess and I haven’t run in any problems that I can think of.

I'm a building inspector that gets to do zoning enforcement too.

I thought setbacks were for light, air and space between houses.

Bootleg said:
TimNY,I see you point.

It's what I use to I guess and I haven’t run in any problems that I can think of.

I'm a building inspector that gets to do zoning enforcement too.

I thought setbacks were for light, air and space between houses.
boot,

i think setbacks also are for fire protection and aesthetics!

pwood said:
boot, i think setbacks also are for fire protection and aesthetics!
Pwood,

Setbacks for fire I understand a little better.

When I said setbacks were light, air and space I had my zoning hat on.

Both your local Zoning Law and your local law authorizing you to enforce the Building Code will regulate when a permit is or is not required. If only Zoning compliance is required, it's a Zoning Permit. Some local Zoning laws will use the term 'building permit', and that's OK too.

We use the "building permit" for building and/or zoning review, and a little known office policy is that we do allow the the steps, and at most a 4x4 landing, to encroach upon the setbacks if we review and it seems nessesary.

A recent example regarding setbacks and zoning. A shed just about on the property line. Owner tears shed down and places deck there instead (same footprint). Sounds as good if not better than the shed... Until the neighbor complains that they are having dinner parties on this deck and it is much worse than a shed.

Setbacks are also about peaceful enjoyment of your property. I mention this because the deck is maybe 8" above the ground; it's not the size of the structure that is obtrusive, it is the use.

That would be permitted here within the existing footprint.

Also, given the fact that a grade patio, or just a plain grassy area, could be used for the same dinner party, I'm not quite sure where the zoning regulation has jurisdiction over the this otherwise allowed (presumably) use.

Many Zoning Laws exempt improvements of a maximum height from setback requirements. Typically around 12" for the ones I've worked with and seen. So the 8" high 'wooden patio' (?) would be exempt in many communities.

Yankee said:
That would be permitted here within the existing footprint. Also, given the fact that a grade patio, or just a plain grassy area, could be used for the same dinner party, I'm not quite sure where the zoning regulation has jurisdiction over the this otherwise allowed (presumably) use.
Depends on your zoning code. Nothing is exempt here except driveways and walkways. Lot coverage is also an issue. No prohibition on where you place your patio furniture. You are free to place it on the grass if that is where you would like to put it.

JBI said:
Many Zoning Laws exempt improvements of a maximum height from setback requirements. Typically around 12" for the ones I've worked with and seen. So the 8" high 'wooden patio' (?) would be exempt in many communities.
I have seen this before. I have seen this allowed even when the zoning code does not allow it. I suppose the answer boils down to why the zoning was enacted. I won't get into semantics of why a deck 12" above grade is allowed versus a deck 18", as the IBC is full of arbitrary numbers (eg you have to draw a line someplace).

Is a 12" deck less of a fire hazard than a deck 24" off the ground? If the grade radically drops 2' on your neighbor's side of the property line, is a 12" deck on your side of the line less intrusive than a deck 3' high on his side of the line?

If I build a fire pit with a coping 12" above grade on the line with your home 12" away is that as safe a a shed?

Zoning is just a line in the sand. Each municipality handles it differently; there is no right or wrong.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I am not taking sides pro/con restrictive zoning. However, if you're going to have zoning I don't agree with an exemption based on height. Personally, I get aggravated at my own home when I can't do something because local regulation has removed my right to do so. Then again, I really enjoy my 30' setbacks so my neighbor can't build his workshop outside my window.