• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

When straps are needed to stop separation of a beam

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Comments on what you see please!

IMAG0104.jpg

Going to have to get something on there since the joists are acting as the rafter ties.

fatboy said:
Going to have to get something on there since the joists are acting as the rafter ties.
Not necessarily since we can't see the ridge. If it is a structural ridge, no rafter ties are needed.

If that is an electrical wire , , , well, no matter what it is, will plywood be getting put up there?

Some kind of continuity would be required to keep the outer walls from separating. I would say cs straps would work, but I would be hesitant to tell the builder how long and how many fasteners, since this would not be a prescriptive application.

I like the contrasting colors.

Looks like there is a long header. Don't know what for.

Hard to know if it is to code or not without more pictures. But if the plans were approved and the construction corresponds to the plans - it is good enough for me.

It looks like those joists should be strapped and it also looks like it might need frieze blocking to transfer the roof load to the wall (guessing on that from all of the light that is washing on the rafters at the wall). If the plans called for it to be built this way look for collar ties above the purlin and also look for a stamp from an engineer or architect .

What is aggravating is that this is in a jurisdiction where we don't do the plan review, only cover for inspections as needed. We simply walk into these issues.