• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where are all the Florida code officials on this forum?

I used to be one...before I joined/left the dark side, depending on your perspective.

BTW, Florida has Boaf.net. The list-serve was always active back when I was down there. They did move it behind a paywall a few years ago, but I my impression was that most of the contributors were already members.

I'd add that there's not that much stuff here on the board that's real different from the Florida requirements. The differences are mostly around details of the sort that are often answered in ignorance anyway. There isn't much of anything that's philosophically different other than the merging of the IBC and NFPA 101...

I know the officials are not happy about "private providers" but from what I gather, you have to be an architect or engineer to be a "private provider" or so I think.....

Unless the law has changed, you don't. Whether you can get the required insurance coverage without being one is another issue.

Keep in mind that Threshold Inspectors are an entirely different animal.

You must be an architect or engineer to work as one.

They basically take on what would be "special inspections" under the IBC.

No, I am talking about plan review and inspections where allowed such as a small town that does not have their own inspector. I can see electrical service inspections having a need in this area.

When I left in early 97 there was a 3rd party company providing service to a few smaller jurisdictions. All of their inspectors and building officials had to be licensed through the state just like a goverment employed inspector had to be. They based their fees on a percentage of permit revenue.

Yes "officials" would not be happy about "competition"

jar546 said:
No, I am talking about plan review and inspections where allowed such as a small town that does not have their own inspector. I can see electrical service inspections having a need in this area.
Yes, it's possible. As mentioned you have to be state licensed for each discipline and both as an inspector and plan reviewer separately. In so far as I recall, you also have to be working under the supervision of a licensed BO.

There are companies with 10 years of private inspection track record in Florida, so it's not exactly a fresh market.

What I saw was that developers were often hiring inspection firms directly. It was less common than cities hiring them. This was during the boom.

So there is an established market.

But I'm not sure there's enough construction to make entry easy.