• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where can I find codes on staircases in apartment buildings?

zjackson

I am completely new to researching codes, and was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to find codes for my jurisdiction and just how to get better at finding what I'm looking for. Right now I am looking for specific documentation that supposedly says in the U.S. an apartment building must have two or more stair cases, if it is 3 stories or higher.

Is the building in Utah? Are you asking about an existing building, or a proposed new building?

If it's in Utah and if it's a proposed new building, look at chapter 10 of the IBC: https://up.codes/viewer/utah/ibc-2021

If it's an existing building, it's more complicated. We need to know why you are asking -- for example, has a fire marshal cited the building for violations?

The basic rule for all buildings (with a few very limited exceptions) is that all buildings must provide access to not less than two exits (meaning enclosed stairways) from every occupiable story. This is true even if the building is only two stories.

Respectfully, if you don't even know that buildings require a minimum of two means of egress, I suggest that you need to consult an architect.

@ICE would you like it better if he said "hire an architect"?
Quite often I see an architect ask them to “consult” (employ) an architect… an engineer, an engineer. That’s no advice at all. How about just offering a helping hand. They don’t need to betray the profession. A simple nudge in the right direction can be invaluable. Mark Handler has it figured out.

In the not distant future the professionals face the prospect of being supplanted by a bot… for that matter, the current question about stairs is robot amenable now.

Last edited:
I provided a link to Chapter 10 of the Utah version of the IBC. So did Mark Handler. Lacking any of the information needed to offer a useful response on a specific project or condition, what more do you expect? The question was where to find the codes for his jurisdiction. Two of us have provided that.

What's your problem?

What's your problem?
“Respectfully, if you don't even know that buildings require a minimum of two means of egress, I suggest that you need to consult an architect.”

When the sentence starts out with the word respectfully, you can count on a lack of respect.

Quite often I see an architect ask them to “consult” (employ) an architect… an engineer, an engineer.
That's why I asked if you're prefer he said "hire" an architect. Do you think that would be better advice?

In the not distant future the professionals face the prospect of being supplanted by a bot… for that matter, the current question about stairs is robot amenable now.
The problem with AI, garbage in garbage out.
AI can not make judgement calls, How can it interpret alternate means and methods.
I does not have the ability, at this time, to deviate from written code, interpret code intent.
you comply or you don't comply.
Remember HAL 9000 ........