• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where can I find Webster’s 3rd new California Dictionary for SFM definitions?

Yikes

Gold Member
I’ve been looking online, but can’t find the dictionary referenced in the California Building Code chapter 2, as quoted below;

"201.4 Terms Not Defined

Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.

For applications listed in Section 1.11 regulated by the Office of the State Fire Marshal, where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies. Webster's Third New California Dictionary of the English Language, Unabridged, shall be considered as providing ordinarily accepted meanings."

Accurate... but how much can the definition of a word change.
That's what I'm wondering. If they came up with a very specific and unique and exceedingly rare dictionary, I can only assume there was argument over the definition of words, and conventional dictionaries were unsatisfactory, such that they needed to use only this one.

Either that, or there's some old joke to be made about speaking "Valley Girl":

Looks like a typo.

PART 2–CALIFORNIA BUILDING CODE
Current Printing—Part 2 Volume 1 & 2
—Including Updates (HTML):

2019 CBC, section 201.4 says "International", not "California".

Depends on where you get your info:

1645020730370.png

As stated before, a typo

Use commonly accepted common sense as a guide for the exact definitions.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience". — Mark Twain

Check with the Building Standards Commission
BSC referred me to the State Fire Marshal, where I got this reply today:

"Unfortunately, that code section was amended a long time ago. We plan to repeal the amendment for the 2022 Intervening. The next 2022 edition of the California Building Code when it is published in July with have this error fixed.
The intent is for the Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged to be used https://shop.merriam-webster.com/products/websters-third-new-international-dictionary-unabridged

There is a printer error. The general rule for the printer is to replace where “International” is called out to replace it with “California”. In this case it is an error.

I Hope this information helps."