• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where Have All the Architects Gone?

conarb

We are building some massive new developments here, Apple's spaceship is by an Englishman, Sir Norman Foster, Facebook's headquarters is by Frank Gehry, a Canadian, Google's planned fantastic Googleplex is by Bjarke Ingels, a Dane, and Thomas Heatherwick, an Englishman. The proposed Googleplex is being designed ignoring codes from what I'm hearing, it will be interesting to see if the City of Mountain View allows them to what's the best as opposed to what the code says. In 1969 I took a trip to Rio Janeiro and Brasilia to see the fantastic work of the late Oscar Niemeyer in Brasil (recently passed at 104), homes without railings and other features that could never be built in the United States. I've long maintained that the work of architects is art and should never be constrained by codes, if something fails and somebody is injured let them sue the architect, but don't constrain their art.

\ said:
The vision outlined in these documents, an application for a major expansion of the Googleplex, its campus, is mind-boggling. The proposed design, developed by the European architectural firms of Bjarke Ingels Group and Heatherwick Studio, does away with doors. It abandons thousands of years of conventional thinking about walls. And stairs. And roofs. Google and its imaginative co-founder and chief executive, Larry Page, essentially want to take 60 acres of land adjacent to the headquarters near the San Francisco Bay, in an area called North Bayshore, and turn it into a titanic human terrarium.

The proposal’s most distinctive feature is an artificial sky: four enormous glass canopies, each stretched over a series of steel pillars of different heights. The glass skin is uneven, angling up and down like a jagged, see-through mountain. The canopies will allow the company to regulate its air and climate.

The plan is just as impressive from the outside. The canopies hug the ground like a biosphere on the surface of Mars, except in a few places where they dramatically curve upward. Google isn’t planning to seal off its new campus but will keep it open to acres of manicured parks and restored coastal wetlands,

Parking lots are underground and hidden from view. Employees will have access to exercise equipment and yoga studios on majestic balconies overlooking central courtyards, although the renderings curiously omit railings and other safety barriers. Perhaps gravity will be different under the glass as well? With cafes and stores on the ground floor, and 5,000 units of proposed housing within an easy recumbent bicycle ride, there may be no reason for workers to ever leave.

Silicon Valley is blessed with nearly idyllic year-round weather, but it’s almost devoid of landmarks, other than a mission-style bell tower on the campus of Stanford University and the utilitarian sign of a once famous electronics company, Ampex, standing along the 101 freeway in Redwood City. Generic low-rise buildings inside endless office parks are spread over the rest of the area, which is carved up by highways and dotted with parking lots, marring a landscape once rich with orchards. The leaders of high tech, it seems, were too busy changing our world to pay attention to theirs.

The Apple spaceship, scheduled to open next year, is meticulously conceived and obsessively polished down to the smallest detail, just like an Apple product. Forty-foot concave glass panes for the curved walls were specially manufactured in Germany. With a projected price tag of $5 billion, it will probably be the most expensive building in history. It will also be closed to the public.

Jobs’s presentation kicked off an architectural arms race in Silicon Valley. In 2012, Facebook commissioned Frank Gehry, mastermind of the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao, Spain, to expand its campus. Facebook’s building, which opened this year in Menlo Park, is more subdued. It recalls the “great workroom” of Frank Lloyd Wright’s Johnson Wax Headquarters: a soaring space with 400,000 square feet of open offices, where desks can be organized and moved around as needed. The new digs function less like a headquarters and more like a living social network, where employees can hobnob freely and have unplanned exchanges of genius. A lush 9-acre green park covers the roof.

Foster is 79. Gehry is 86. Both are Pritzker Architecture Prize-winning eminences in the twilight of their careers. To design its own future home, Google has enlisted two young guns: 40-year-old Bjarke Ingels of Denmark and 45-year-old Thomas Heatherwick of England. “If you add my and Thomas’s ages together, we are just as old as either Frank or Norman,” Ingels says. “So the math adds up.”

Getting the city of Mountain View to approve the plans may be just as big a challenge. In a meeting on May 5, the city council snubbed Google and granted only a fraction of the land it requested. The company did its best to conceal its disappointment: “We’re pleased that the council has decided to advance our Landings site,” says David Radcliffe, Google’s vice president for real estate, referring to one of the North Bayshore locations. “Given the connected nature of our campus design, we will continue to work with the city to identify a process to move forward with this project.”¹
¹ http://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2015-05-07/google-s-new-campus-architects-ingels-heatherwick-s-moon-shot

conarb said:
I've long maintained that the work of architects is art and should never be constrained by codes, if something fails and somebody is injured let them sue the architect, but don't constrain their art.
While I certainly agree that architects should be free to ply their trade without being completely hogtied by codes, they certainly need to respect codes for occupant safety. Almost every code that I'm aware of can be overcome in inventive ways without compromising architectural freedom. That's part of the challenge of being an architect.

Be interesting to see how Mountain View treats a building that is open to the outside, climate controlled, yet complies with the Energy and Green Codes, the article says there are no railings but the architects may have just left them out to make the presentation more striking, but Niemeyer did lots of stairways without railings and balconies without guards so maybe they are trying to emulate his concepts. Their Planning Commission has already held them back saying that they don't want to be a company town, with Apple's spaceship Jobs made Cupertino a company town, he personally appeared in front of the city counsel very sick with cancer in the last month of his life to present his case, yet the poor guy tried for 17 years to tear down his old home in Woodside to build his new dream home, he finally got a demolition permit and had the trucks and tractors there the next morning lined up before some other Greenie could get to court and get an injunction stopping him. He did get it torn down but died before even starting his new home, but his spaceship is going up nearing completion.

I did that once in the 80s, the owner told me to get my trucks and tractors there and lined up, knock every tree down on the property before taking the time to load anything, he and his wife would be in Hawaii and he gave me a hotel number to call, as soon as I had every tree laying down to call him. It was a wealthy neighborhood and he feared that some Greenie woman married to an attorney could call a judge and get an injunction over the telephone.

If you haven't already seen it, we have a series of features called "Working out of the Box" that profile architects that have transitioned into other careers.

DrGik said:
If you haven't already seen it, we have a series of features called "Working out of the Box" that profile architects that have transitioned into other careers.
Welcome

How is it up North?

So are they changing to zamboni drivers??

DrGik said:
DrGik:

Can you speculate as to why architects are leaving their profession up in the Great White North? Are architects losing their creativity because they are bogged down in minutiae? Several years ago an architect published an AIA white paper written by a FAIA stating his theory that architects should be concept architects only, all design plans should be drawn by contractors like we do shop drawings now, I found the article so fascinating that I saved the link but eventually the AIA took it down, wish I had saved it to my hard drive.

Nobody wants good architects here, but Asia and the middle east welcomes them. And I'm not just talking about skyscrapers.

Part of it is the fault of homeowners. People are becoming more afraid of individuality. They don't want a home that stands out. They want stucco, foam, thermador appliances, fake wood floors, and vinyl windows. Cheap.

There is something called "The Concord Moment" which refers to the sliver of time, energy and will, all coming together against probability that transpired into the Mach 2+ wonder of the world that was the Concord SST. The Bugatti Veyron is another example. Recently, architecturally, it was the Disney Hall in L.A.

Though there may be some pricey examples of high end visionary architecture in the residential realm, any semblance of vision is gone and died in the mid-class to lower class levels.

Some of that is due to vision costing money. But somewhere is a cat with big ideas that will translate well into the the homes of the great unwashed.

For now, go elsewhere to witness it. Code structure bears some of the blame, but the buyer is the culprit. Thank you Lennar, Toll Brothers, etc.

Commercially, if your greatest achievement as an architect was a shopping center or factory outlet with welded steel accountremons, well, thanks for that. Yea. Nothing says "I get it" like a fake water tower and rat trap parking lots. But hey; It's ADA compliant and has plenty of retention ponds. Way to push the envelope.

Brent.

In my career I knew there would not be a chance to design a masterpiece building, MASSDRIVER has explained the situation succinctly. I found the technical area to my liking and got into codes (sometimes much to my dismay as well as the poor souls I had to tell they did it wrong). Life will have to just go on without my masterwork being built. A few days ago was notified that my position is being cut as it is tied to a large project that can be done in a shorter time by contracting out. Now I will shortly have time to create something as a masterpiece, hot rods. As things develop I will post what goes on.

jdfruit said:
In my career I knew there would not be a chance to design a masterpiece building, MASSDRIVER has explained the situation succinctly. I found the technical area to my liking and got into codes (sometimes much to my dismay as well as the poor souls I had to tell they did it wrong). Life will have to just go on without my masterwork being built. A few days ago was notified that my position is being cut as it is tied to a large project that can be done in a shorter time by contracting out. Now I will shortly have time to create something as a masterpiece, hot rods. As things develop I will post what goes on.
If I get rich, I will build your masterpiece.

I like glass walls, so your masterpiece should have glass walls. And a nice bar. Any masterpiece should have a nice bar. Do you like titanium? I like titanium. And an indoor gun range, and adjoining walk in gun vault. Make it impervious to explosions. That's super important. And a room for my dog.

This probably all sounds like I'm reading your mind.

Brent.

MASSDRIVER

I didn't know your were clairvoyant. Really prefer chrome moly steel, I can work it, titanium takes tools I can't afford.