• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where is maximum exit door leaf width in 2021 IBC?

Yikes

Gold Member
2018 IBC 1010.1.1 "Size of doors" contained this sentence:
  • The maximum width of a swinging door shall be 48 inches (1219mm) nominal.
I don't see that sentence in the 2021 IBC 1010.1.1. Where did it move to? Or is there no longer an upper limit on door leaf width?

There is a black bar in the margin of the 2021 IBC at that point, indicating that the paragraph was revised since the 2018 IBC. It appears that the 48-inch maximum leaf was deleted.

Thanks, YC. I also got a PM to a post at IDigHardware that indicates the current code does NOT prescribe a maximum width, only a maximum force to operate.
However, given that most manufacturers have probably not fire-tested doors larger than 48”, you have fire-rated doors the practical upper limit is still 48” in those situations.
It may be possible to do much wider gates and non-rated doors if you can get the hinges and closers and mass of the panel to meet operating force requirements.

(updated post to correct previous typos)

Last edited:
Thanks, YC. I also got a PM to a post at IDigHardware that indicates the current code does NOT prescribe a maximum width, only a maximum force to operate.
However, given that most manufacturers have probably not fire-tested doors larger than 48”, you have fire-rated doors the practical upper limit is still 48” in those situations.
It may be possible to do much wider gates and non-rated doors if you can get the hinges and closers and mass of the panel to meet operating force requirements.

Have an automatic door opener.

Not sure if you're a designer, but I did a 4'-10" x 10' tall door recently, and Assa Abloy was as big help.

They highlighted the code change between 2018 and 2021 and the point about panic hardware vs fire exit devices. The first hardware consultant didn't want to touch the door. We ended up going w/ center hung floor closers in lieu of offset floor closers.