• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Where was/is the ICC?

youfamissim

Dear Inspectpa Members,

I attended a public comment hearing on the proposed 2012 Green Code April 14, in Washington DC. Appx 50 people attended - the majority were Federal agency employees (EPA and DOE) and private firms they hired to draft portions of the Green Code (perhaps all of the green code) in their stead. Several manufacturers - windows, lighting, plumbing, attended as they must know how this code will affect their daily operations. I own a firm contracted with local government for plan review and inspections under separate contracts. One consultant for the Colorado Code Officials org also attended. Only the two of us against the Federal Government and their policy hacks. The MFGs were most concerned on their product compliance - few objected.

NO ICC official attended the meeting!!! I was dumbstruck the ICC had no rep there.

Apparently, the ICC will accept what the government gives them. The government sees the green code as a means through which they can implement policy that will not pass muster at Congress. My eyes opened. The International Codes are a nationwide platform that will enable federal agencies to implement unpopular policy - unless ICC members object/revolt. I spoke with the consultant representing the colorado code officials about this assessment - he agreed. The consultant challenged every proposed code and made certain the record reflects the objections from the colorado code officials.

I make money off every new Code. I have no motivation to object - other than my conscience.

Independent study has convinced me global warming, GW, is not anthropomophic and it has not occurred since the mid 1990s. The GW "Industry" and their political supporters, have an agenda not related to the planet's environmental health whatsoever - IMO.

Creating laws and codes that service GW will cost jobs and increase the compliance burden for a non-existent problem on an already hard hit industry. My location was historically immune from housing bubbles. We have been down 60% from traditional averages 4 years in a row. The Green code will make economic matters worse and assure tradesmen remain unemployed. Enough is enough.

If you object to the proposed green code - speak up! Contact the ICC and be certain you vote!

BTW the EPA's doing what they can to apply a pincher mover in concert with the DOE to change the way America builds - forever - using junk science to advance that agenda.

This administration said it all less than one month after they assumed office -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opxuUj6vFa4

Best wishes

Youfamissim

Well do be surprised that ICC didn't show up. They have troubles managing what they have and if the fed is going to hand them more green, why should they attend.

I don't see much good in fighting with ICC. It will not change.

Just my opinions:

Feds are running the energy/green code.

Sprinkler sales people/installers are running the sprinkler provisions.

Some builder(s) is(are) running the city/county/state councils/boards on what they want.

Anything else you want to know????

ICC does not make the rules or the codes. It is the members that vote on the codes and their changes. It is up to us as code officials to go to the code hearings and make sure we get what we want!

Like the residential sprinkler debate. The fire fighters showed up in mass and was able to get the residential sprinklers in the code.

If you don't like what gets put in the code it is our own fault for not attending the code hearings. Sad but true!