• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which code applies, IRC or IBC?

If you believe that the contractor violated a contract you should be talking with an attorney. The attorney will evaluate the legal issues and retain an expert to help support your claim.

This forum will not resolve your problem. I suspect that much of the discussion here will not be relevant to resolving your problem.

If you believe that the contractor violated a contract you should be talking with an attorney. The attorney will evaluate the legal issues and retain an expert to help support your claim.

This forum will not resolve your problem. I suspect that much of the discussion here will not be relevant to resolving your problem.
Actually this discussion has been extremely helpful. Ultimately I imagine it’s going to be on us to select the soundproofing strategy (of course based on input from an expert) that we are most comfortable will work, and there have been lots of great ideas mentioned here in this discussion.

Finally got drawing link to work. Does that detail really comply with code, even if built that way, which I guess it isn't? I thought the GWB had to be continous. The continuous plywood floor sheathing seems very questionable, and I wonder if they eliminate a layer of 5/8 on both sides, if they got the three layers between. But a rotten detail for sound transmission, as has been attested to.

1652708947324.png

Finally got drawing link to work. Does that detail really comply with code, even if built that way, which I guess it isn't? I thought the GWB had to be continous. The continuous plywood floor sheathing seems very questionable, and I wonder if they eliminate a layer of 5/8 on both sides, if they got the three layers between. But a rotten detail for sound transmission, as has been attested to.

View attachment 8954
This detail does not comply with code. They missed 722.6.1.1, max 60 min for calculated wood/gyp assemblies. Gyp does not necessarily need to be continuous, but a rated assembly does. You can change assemblies as you go up the wall if they all meet the requirements.
You don't need a listed assembly for sound but if you build without a listed assembly you must meet a higher standard (50 vs 45 STC) for a field test.

Thank you. I'm no expert on fire barriers/walls/etc. but looked suspicious. I guess it was approved based on thread. As far as acoustics, noise isolation generally benefits from the same things that make firewalls work.

I'm sure its possible to frame into a firewall like this but it seems the usually approach is to run joists parallel to the wall.

My condolences to stillmand.

I wonder if they ever put the gyp board in the floor truss space. Floors framed with trusses are a great conduit for sounds.

I wonder if they ever put the gyp board in the floor truss space. Floors framed with trusses are a great conduit for sounds.
Absolutely. And a lot of acoustical consultants would say that the continous ply had to be gapped. I don't know if that can be saw cut and maintain the structural integrity of the joists.

It's a lot more than just beefing up the walls. Need a borescope (do?) and pull some base to look at that detail.

View attachment 8954
you said: "The continuous plywood floor sheathing seems very questionable"
It seems to me that that "Diaphram Strength" is what is holding the assembly together. Especially with the 1 3/4" truss bearing with the triple 5/8 fr drywall

you said: "The continuous plywood floor sheathing seems very questionable"
It seems to me that that "Diaphram Strength" is what is holding the assembly together. Especially with the 1 3/4" truss bearing with the triple 5/8 fr drywall
You may be right, probably are, but it's short circuiting the acoustic separation and, as a non-expert in fire rated partitions, the fire resistance. So it's necessary to hold together a bad design. If some jumps on one side, it must be clearly heard and felt on other side.

You may be right, probably are, but it's short circuiting the acoustic separation and, as a non-expert in fire rated partitions, the fire resistance. So it's necessary to hold together a bad design. If some jumps on one side, it must be clearly heard and felt on other side.
The subfloor is almost always continuous. It is a short circuit but there are practicalities like building integrity that cannot be ignored. There is typically gypsum underlayment to add mass to the floor assembly (stops at the inside face of the unit separation wall) and sometimes sound mat if not carpeted to reduce impact.

The goal is not perfect sound isolation, it is to mitigate sound transmission to an acceptable level.

This detail does not comply with code. They missed 722.6.1.1, max 60 min for calculated wood/gyp assemblies. Gyp does not necessarily need to be continuous, but a rated assembly does. You can change assemblies as you go up the wall if they all meet the requirements.
You don't need a listed assembly for sound but if you build without a listed assembly you must meet a higher standard (50 vs 45 STC) for a field test.
Redeye,

How does the IBC's 722.6.1 apply to an IRC permit for a 1 & 2 family home?

I don't remember there being an R722.6.1 in my book?

structures TRUMPS ( no pun intended) Acoustics I believe
Some mineral batt up there would probably help both areas of concern IMHO

I didn't know you could run wood through a firewall. Fundamental principle of acoustic isolation is structural breaks, because rigid structure transmits sound energy.

Lots of discussion but I have not seen mention of use of lead blankets or lead lined panels to cut off sound? Back in the day we used these for recording rooms and shrinks offices, At Sony we did side by side offices of agents with minimal transmission when listening to loud music.

Leaded vinyl was mentioned above. It's mass, but expensive mass compared to other materials. And pretty sure plain lead is not well advised in a house, so leaded vinyl. seems to be $2+ per sf.