• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which is why we require a form board survey before you pour

e hilton

Bronze Member
The title was lifted from a comment Jar made in the thread about Boise Idaho, and it reminded me of an experience i had.

12-ish yrs ago i was the owners rep for a bank branch being built in Virginia Beach. Two story building on a pad site of the best shopping center in town. I took over from another PM after the permit had been issued and the GC signed up, and dirt work had started. I was not in favor of using that GC from past experience, but it was too late. The project had multiple serious issues, but only one is germane here.

Slab was poured, structural steel was starting to go up for the second floor … landlord called and said the building is in the wrong place. We were bounded on 2 sides by streets and the third side was a parcel line for another pad site, which was vacant. Plans called for the face of the building to be 6” inside the line, it was actually 6” over the line. Fortunately the LL was reasonable, we had to pay all costs to replat those two parcels, and the city just asked for an amended site plan.

What happened was … the GC had the site surveyed and benchmarks were set for the foundation layout, then they started excavating. They piled the excavated soil a bit haphazardly and didn’t keep the site clear, and in the process covered up the benchmarks with dirt. And then didn’t expose them before setting the concrete form boards. He thought he knew where to measure from for the form boards … but obviously guessed wrong.

I was a carpenter on a site where hundreds of apartments were being built. A building was nearly done when someone noticed that it was facing the wrong way. The back faced a street and the front faced a sound wall. The contractors took a hit.

Every time that I have requested a survey they acted like I just shot the dog.

Last edited: