• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which Occupancy?

mgpxl

Hello all, first time poster. (Should have joined years ago).

A family friend a shopping center under LADBS jurisdiction. He basically wants to split one of the current rent able spaces into two. He does not know what tenant may be moving in. We've narrowed it down to possibility of Business (B), Retail (M), or Restaurant (A2). The previous space was a pharmacy (M). Basically, he's gutting the entire place(except T-bar ceiling) and wants to put a 2 HR partition to the roof structure.

I am thinking to calculate each space to the most restrictive of these for exits and restrooms (difference one a few inches of width, and one stall).

Is there any other significant issue that may arise from, say, Change of Use to A2 versus B? If a restaurant is a possibility, should he run any special equipment/lines ?

I know some of this might be a bit subjective, because the restaurant would technically move in and do their own TI as well (assuming we went with A2). I want to know a couple of options to let him make the decision that works between him and his contractor.

Thank you very much!

Jake

welcome

How big is the empty space???

and is he trying to split one empty space into two??? any other tenants adjoining either side??

I would advice to wait till he gets a tenant, because he may be wasting time and money!!!!

I take it no fire sprinkler system??

WE Are all in training around here!

Thank you for the replies.

The space is 7200 SF currently, so each new space will be ~3600 SF. There are tenants on either side. It is a steel frame with the sloped roof (ridge running longitudinally). The walls between the adjacent tenants are brick. Not sprinklered.

The problem with waiting for a tenant is the 4-6 weeks it will take to get new permits and then however long construction will take. I can configure the restrooms to minimize the costs of adding an additional stall, should it be necessary (I think).

Yea but the restroom and exit may not work for a new business

Will an A kick in sprinklers?

I will calculate the restrooms and exits per the most restrictive.

I'm unsure about the fire sprinklers.

It looks like it will need a FS - "903.2.1.2 #2 - The Fire area has an occupant load of 100 or more."

Although, not part of my scope. The contractor can permit and install should it be necessary. I would just need to indicate that it is sprinklered (if city requires).

Maybe, but I doubt he's going to get any. It's an existing space in a shopping center. Anyway, that's beyond my concern, at this point, too.

Client merely wants to get a permit to split existing space into two. I know, it doesn't make sense. Since tenant will have to do a Change of Use if it doesn't coincide...

Other than Exit Width + Fixture count, any other possible concerns? I guess I'm thinking any required work that "may" be needed for a kitchen.

Class I or II vent a hood if cooking or similar

All kinds of sinks

Grease trap

Maybe another exit

Keep the occupancy a M, until you need to change it.

You WILL waste your client/friend's money by trying to guess what the future tenants will be.

\ + \ + \ +

mgpxl,

1st, ...Welcome to The Building Codes Forum ! :cool:

2nd, ...I will encourage you to join and to become a Sawhorse

[ i.e. - a paid subscription member with editing privileges ].

3rd, ...I agree with **mark h.**.....So as to not waste your

client' money & resources, ...keep the design basic until you

have more definite and agreed upon choices......Get everything

in writing and start designing to [ to code ] from there.

4th, ...don't forget about all of the Accessibility designs and

requirements !

What, ...you haven't become a Sawhorse yet ! :eek:

+ / + / + /

Thank you for the input!

We decided to maintain the M occupancy for both. Still, designing bathrooms one for B (2 fixtures) and one for A2 (3 fixtures). And Exits similar.

Am I correct in assuming this won't cause any issues with the city..? Hah!

Never know , especially if you label the occupancy type on the plans

What about fire sprinklers in the A ? Required in your area or not ?

mark handler said:
Keep the occupancy a M, until you need to change it.You WILL waste your client/friend's money by trying to guess what the future tenants will be.
I agree BUT......You may want to build the walls as a fire barrier with proper rating between A and whatever is there now, you won't have to disturb the other tenant later....

A 2 hour partition leaves you with the choice of most restrictive. A 2 hour fire barrier would allow the sum of the ratios and possibly be more favorable...

I will be indicating a 2-hour fire barrier (up to structure) to split the spaces. Fire sprinklers would be necessary if a future tenant does change to A. Again, I think the client doesn't want to spend on that right now. He thinks he will leave it after permit. He may get a tenant during construction and then pull the fire sprinkler permit with the contractor.

Sounds good

Hope your first experience with this wrecking crew was not bad.