• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Which type of sprinkler system would be required?

Meadowbend99

Hi,

I have a project with an existing house being used in conjunction with a ballroom. The intent of the house is to hold receptions and on the second floor provide lodging for up to 9 people. They would like to be able to fit 250-299 people in the house for functions.

I was planning to submit the project as mixed use A-3 and R-3 with no separation as allowed in IEBC with a NFPA 13 sprinkler system. Unbeknownst to me, the contractor went ahead and installed a 13D system. I do not believe a 13D can be used for mixed use. However, they will be under 300 occupants, well under 12,000 SF, and no assembly spaces on other floors other than level of exit discharge. If they don't trigger the need for a sprinkler system with the A-3 occupancy, would they be able to use the 13D system as mixed use? With a straight R-3 occupancy I can only get up to 160 occupants.

Per 2012 International Existing Building Code
1011.1.1.1 Change of occupancy classification without separation.
Where a portion of an existing building is changed to a new occupancy classification or where there is a change of occupancy within a space where there is a different fire protection system threshold requirement in Chapter 9 of the International Building Code, and that portion is not separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers having a fire-resistance rating as required in the International Building Code for the separate occupancy, the entire building shall comply with all of the requirements of Chapter 9 of this code applied throughout the building for the most restrictive occupancy classification in the building and with the requirements of this chapter.

I would say no 13 D would not fly.

Since you have to sprinkle the entire building and 13d is not for commercial and neither is 13R in this setting.

How many sq ft per floor??

Last edited:
2.1.2 Group A-2.
An automatic sprinkler system shall be provided for Group A-2 occupancies where one of the following conditions exists:

1. The fire area exceeds 5,000 square feet (464.5 m2);

2. The fire area has an occupant load of 100 or more; or

3. The fire area is located on a floor other than a level of exitdischarge serving such occupancies.

If used how they want it would be A-3. Similar setup as a funeral parlor/museum. Used for mingling but not dining.

First floor around 4500 sf, second around 3500 sf.

The rooms are separated such that we could do a B with accessory A, but they want a high occupant load.

A-3 might be possible ?

Without a floor plan to look at hard to say what ol would be.

"250-299 people in the house for functions?"

That is not a House

13D, 1.1.1: This standard shall cover the design, installation, and maintenance of automatic sprinkler systems for protection against the fire hazards in one- and Two-family dwellings and manufactured homes.

If it is not a house it is outside the scope of the standard. It is as simple as that. You are correct that this should be a 13 system.

Agree with previous comments: Must be sprinklered throughout due to the Group R, and it must be an NFPA-13 system. If the building's primary use was the lodging and the event space was secondary, then an NFPA-13R system would have been acceptable; but with only 9 lodging occupants and 250-299 assembly occupants, an assembly is definitely the primary use.