• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

White tape on gas lines

fireguy said:
I have been told that propane and natural gas deteriorates Teflon. And that not using Teflon is a code requirement. I have not been able to find that code requirement. My experience based upon 30 years of gas work, it that the propane does not harm the Teflon. My personal preference is to use the blue pipe dope, it does seem to seal better. I do not use tape, I do not get good results with tape.
The reason that you can not find, is that it is hearsay. Some local municipalities do not allow it but only do to lack of competence.

Look at the compatibility in post #1

No listing required

[h=2]Tape Grade, Color and Density[/h]

• Thread tape comes in different colors for different uses.
    White tape is single density and intended for water pipes of 3/8 of an inch or less. It can sometimes be found in a silver color to match the pipes.
    Red tape is triple density, for pipes one-half inch to 2 inches in diameter. It is designed for pipes with larger joints, such as water distribution pipes. Note that the container is red, but the tape itself looks pink.
    Yellow tape is double density, and designed for gas and fuel lines.
    Green tape is grease and oil free, and designed for pipes carrying oxygen.
    Please note that these tape colors refer to specifications in the United States only.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_5784015_different-grades-teflon-tape.html#ixzz2qa7OZgtW

JBI said:

[h=2]Tape Grade, Color and Density[/h]

• Thread tape comes in different colors for different uses.White tape is single density and intended for water pipes of 3/8 of an inch or less. It can sometimes be found in a silver color to match the pipes.

Red tape is triple density, for pipes one-half inch to 2 inches in diameter. It is designed for pipes with larger joints, such as water distribution pipes. Note that the container is red, but the tape itself looks pink.

Yellow tape is double density, and designed for gas and fuel lines.

Green tape is grease and oil free, and designed for pipes carrying oxygen.

Please note that these tape colors refer to specifications in the United States only.
Read more: http://www.ehow.com/list_5784015_different-grades-teflon-tape.html#ixzz2qa7OZgtW

Adding coloring to the PTFE compound does not change the performance from standard white. Coloring was introduced to the industry as a marketing campaign to gain acceptance by the code officials that did not want it used. No technical merit other than "territorial testosterone".

Per the above, the color coding is primarily to distinguish between single, double and triple densities. The only one that appears to be chemically different is the green.

I tried to find listing information but was unsuccessful. This was the best I could find.

I found this today. I have no idea what it is. But it's blue and holding 30psi. That's the first 200psi gauge I've encountered on a gas test and this is a contractor.

ICE said:
I found this today. I have no idea what it is. But it's blue and holding 30psi. That's the first 200psi gauge I've encountered on a gas test and this is a contractor.
There is enough pipe dope on the nipples to do the entire house. Do you not require a low pressure gauge with a close wide resolution. Looking at a gauge like that the could be a substantial leak that is not noticed for hours.

Gregg Harris said:
Do you not require a low pressure gauge with a close wide resolution.
Why do you suppose I mentioned the 200psi and a contractor?

Why do you suppose they are called nipples?