• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who inspects NFPA 72 installations in your jurisdiction

Right off the top of my head; Building, Electric, Mechaincal, and Fire. The IBC, NEC, IMC, and IFC all reference the NFPA 72. While a building inspector, mechanical inspector, and fire inspector may not inspect the wiring, power supply, and other electrical components of a NFPA 72 installation, the location of devices, the operation of devices, and other aspects of the systems will likely be under scope fo the other trades.

A combination of my two electrical inspectors and myself. We join in the review and I do the field testing. I don't believe ICC has a cert, but if they can charge for one they will soon have it.

Fire Inpsectors here have no jurisdiction in residential occupancies (1&2 Family Dwellings). Fire alarm systems, smoke alarms, and other NFPA 72 systems must be inspected by an electrical inspector. And while the fire inspector is responsible for the fire alarm systems, kitchen hood suppression, and other NFPA 72 systems in a commercial occupancy, the mechanical inspector ensures the required duct detectors are in place and operational, and the electrical inspector checks the FACP wiring, power supply, and other installation requirements. Building inspectors work with the FI to ensure the life safety plan has been complied with and that all other trades have verified their NFPA 72 systems are compliant.

This is how my jurisdiction handles it. There is redundancy, but that is good when it comes to Fire Protection.