• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who pressure tests a new house?

The usual test is any number over 8. 50 psi isn't out of the ordinary.

I check the gauge at the beginning of an inspection and again when I am ready to leave. It might be 5 minutes....maybe 10 and almost never 15.

I have encountered tests with the furnace connected, the shut-off valve open and a 60 psi gauge maxed out. I may have posted a thread about it here.

It is common practice in the state of Pennsylvania that all gas utility companies have a pressure test performed before they will connect the gas. Why would you as an inspector think that you were responsible for performing a test? This is part of the mechanical rough inspection for the gas lines and is part of your responsibility to ensure that it is done as a mechanical inspector.

Rider Rick said:
Let some air out of the gas line at the gauge to make sure the gauge works.
Yes sir and I have found them stuck.

I also smell for sulfur.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't figured this out yet, I am very new to all of this. I am in a small city and I don't see too much new construction. The old guys were offered a retirement package that they couldn't turn down. I had the entire office tossed in my lap. It was also downsized to just me. I also handle property maint. The old crew didn't document much. No records of any inspections exist. No COOs were ever issued. The only records I have are permits and applications.

All commercial, res electrical, and res plumbing are handled by 3rd parties. I do the rest. With all of this in mind, you will see me ask some stupid questions from time to time. I try to do my homework first, but that doesn't always work.

Oh, BTW, this particular project is a habitat for humanity house. It was completely built by volunteers and high school students. No plumbers, electricians, etc.... The house has been slowly built over the past 3 years.

You can damage csst piping and fittings if you test with too much pressure. Read up on those installation instructions. We require the test to be be in the middle third of a thirty pound Gauge holding pressure for 15 min. I also have seen lots of gauges with bent or broken needles that are stuck at 20 psi.