• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Who sees these clips in CMU for rebar?

From an inspection perspective the question is whether the reinforcing is located at the correct location and is firmly in place so that it will not move during grout placement. If the reinforcement meets that criteria whether or not they use any ty pe of positioners is irrelevant.

Mark K said:
From an inspection perspective the question is whether the reinforcing is located at the correct location and is firmly in place so that it will not move during grout placement. If the reinforcement meets that criteria whether or not they use any ty pe of positioners is irrelevant.
Agree but I am starting to see these a lot now compared to before.

We usually see a contact splice with tie wire supporting the reinforcement from the stubs out of the footings or something similar. I haven't seen these positioners previously but I am going to print a couple of copies for the field guys to review. Maybe there is some expertise on here about how critical the location of the bar is within the cylinder of grout from a design perspective. I'm sure there is some signifigance to attain cover and consolidation but I wonder if it is that critical or if the anomolies are accounted for within the baseline for the design of CMU. The maximum pour height (48"-60" no code book in front of me atm.) per lift must also be taking these potential issues into account. With higher lifts this type of positioner would become very critical.

ZIG

If tied properly the horizontals will generally keep the steel properly positioned as they have a seat to sit in.High lifts require a clean out at every verticle.

jar546 said:
What do you see if you don't see these?
As more and more Design Professionals are held to a higher standard, (special inspections), with non-skilled laborers, the DPs will be requiring these clips more and more....

Mark,

Often times, Design Professional do not specify bar positioners because it is means and methods. Structural drawings specify the location of the reinforcing and the specifications (and/or TMS 602-08/ACI 530.1-08/ASCE 6-08) specify placement tolerances. The contractor is responsible for the means and methods to place the reinforcing within these tolerances. To ensure these requirements are met, the building code (and construction documents) requires periodic special inspection of the reinforcement placement in masonry.

As stated engineers typically do not specify rebar positioners. I define location and tolerances of rebar and require that it be held firmly in place. If the rebar when inspected can be moved out of tolerance it is not firmly in place.

Kinda cool but I don't understand where they would be useful. When you have vert. bars we've always have horizontals that get tied and inspeced by the SI. The only time I imagine they would be useful is when there are no horizontals.

GCtony said:
I imagine they would be useful is when there are no horizontals.
Not true, notice the horiz bar and the bar petitioner

verticle-reinforcement.jpg