• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

who will give me odds??

I will say that is should activate as the opening will act as a smoke and heat vent drawing the hot smoke and flame to the head. Activation patterns and timing for this and surrounding heads will be different than if the hole was not there.

For a typical outdoor mall area, with low combustible loading of a few benches, chairs, etc, and if the ceiling is high, it could be none of the heads activate. When high ceilings are involved, it takes alot of heat to activate the heads. Many years ago i worked on a project for an aerospace company. The ceilings were 50 ft high, and the combustible loading was very low. You would need to light a stack of wood pallets on fire to activate the heads in that scneario.

I do not know why they sprinkled them

Open on two sides completely and somewhat open on the other two

With just benches underneath

codeworks said:
i'm with frank, smoke and heat vent, if it gets hot enough
I'd disagree; the reason we regulate a sprinkler head's proximity to the ceiling is because during a fire condition the heat rises and becomes trapped against the ceiling and continues to accumulate until the heat is great enough to deploy the sprinkler head. If heat is not trapped beneath the ceiling and simply allowed to pass by it the fire conditions that will activate the head will either be a major case of arson or too late in the game to do anything about fire. I'm curious why one was installed here as I don't remember in NFPA 13 requiring a sprinkler head in this location.

tmurray said:
I'd disagree; the reason we regulate a sprinkler head's proximity to the ceiling is because during a fire condition the heat rises and becomes trapped against the ceiling and continues to accumulate until the heat is great enough to deploy the sprinkler head. If heat is not trapped beneath the ceiling and simply allowed to pass by it the fire conditions that will activate the head will either be a major case of arson or too late in the game to do anything about fire. I'm curious why one was installed here as I don't remember in NFPA 13 requiring a sprinkler head in this location.
To activate the head needs to be in the plume of hot gases and smoke generated by the fire and the smoke plume needs to be hot enough to activate the head. In a still air area the fire plume will rise above the fuel package and spread out as it entrains air--hence the funnel shape smoke cloud over an outdoor fire. The entrained air cools the plume by diluting the hot products of combustion with ambient air. When the plume hits an obstruction like a ceiling it will spread out rolling across the ceiling--this will activate heads around the perimeter of the fire prewetting the surrounding fuel stopping the spread of the fire. Wind can disturb this pattern potentially preventing the upwind side from getting prewetted. Steep sloped ceilings likewise. A hole in the ceiling will draw the smoke and hot gases to it as a chimney draws the smoke into it and entrains air from the room to keep the smoke out of the house. In this case the foot or two of hot gasses traveling along the ceiling stands a good change of activating the head under the hole although not as rapidly as if the hole was not there, unless the fire is directly under this head.

The hole does not require sprinkler protection in today's sprinkler code, it may have been required back in the day of install or the skylight may have been added when the mall remodeled and took out the existing RTU....... or,,,

Anyway , you get the idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
my guess is the pipe was fabed with the idea that there was a skylight there, and when it was installed they decided not to plug the outlet and install per plans!!!!!!!!!!!