• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why Building Codes Are The Worst: An Ode to Anarchy in Construction

Why Building Codes Are The Worst: An Ode to Anarchy in Construction

In an unprecedented revelation, industry insiders have come to a unanimous and groundbreaking consensus: building codes are, in fact, the worst.

For centuries, humanity thrived without the cumbersome shackles of what we now call "building codes." The Pyramids? Built sans codes. The Colosseum? Code-less. Your grandad's backyard shed? Okay, maybe that one could've used a once-over, but the point stands.

The Myth of Safety

First and foremost, building code proponents argue that they ensure safety. But let's be honest: Nothing screams thrill and danger (both of which are severely lacking in today's overly cushioned society) like living in a house that could double as a Jenga tower. Risk fosters creativity, and what better way to inspire architectural innovation than the constant threat of collapse?

The Economic Burden

Moreover, the economic implications are stifling. Imagine a world where builders are free to use their intuition, selecting materials based on whims and fancies rather than pesky, regulated standards. The cost savings alone could lead to an unprecedented boom in golden statues of builders themselves, erected in every city square as monuments to cost efficiency and slight egomania.

The Environmental Impact

Let's not forget the environmental angle. By eliminating building codes, we could return to using purely organic materials. Sure, a house made of straw or sticks might not stand up to the big bad wolf, but think of the carbon footprint reduction. Plus, in the event of a huff-and-puff-induced demolition, you've just supplied the local ecosystem with some prime compost material.

The Homogenization of Creativity

Building codes have homogenized cities and towns, making every new building resemble the last. Gone are the days of personalized pit houses, whimsical wattle-and-daub, and charming cob cottages. Instead, we're left with a landscape so uniform that delivery drivers navigate by counting identical beige boxes rather than street names.

The Ultimate Solution: Anarchy in Architecture

Thus, we arrive at the only logical conclusion: the complete abolishment of building codes. Let us usher in a new era of architectural anarchy, where the only limit is the sky (or more accurately, the immediate structural integrity of your materials). We envision a future where skyscrapers are built on a whim, basements are optional, and the term "load-bearing wall" is but a whisper of a bygone era.

A Call to Action

Join us in our crusade against the tyranny of safety, uniformity, and sensibility. Together, we can build a world where every man, woman, and child is free to construct their dream abode, uninhibited by the oppressive forces of logic and reason.

This article is a piece of satire and is not meant to be taken as serious criticism or advice. For those passionate about the integrity, safety, and innovation of our built environment, we salute you.

As I have read on the forum when a contractor says "I always build to code"
Our response should be
"Well that is the worst building you can legally build.

Unfortunately there a many people out there that buy into this sort of crap.

I know there was a disclaimer in the last line on the article, but the thought still lingers out there.

When the "No code required apocalypse comes!" I gonna invest in a bubble wrap manufacturing business, who's with me!

mtlogcabin, don't take the follow to heart, I respect you immensely. These following questions are for the code forum masses.

I have heard that similar statement from multiple sources here and in the field and today from my inspector.

Is that statement really as bad as it sounds, are our minimum codes that bad. We discussed this in the office, questions came up.

How would you build a wall better than 16-inch on center? Would you go to 12" on center, would you be able to find a wood stud with a better grade?
Would you use more nails or would that make the wall better or worse?
Would you use wood at all? Steel studs, does that make it better than the minimum? What gauge steel would the studs need to be?
Are sip walls better than the minimum?

The exterior wall would have a house wrap, maybe OSB sheeting, typically siding that's available like Hardie, LP Stucco, etc.

When I go to HD will I find materials that would allow me to build better than code or do the lumberyards help dictate our construction?

Forum comrades, give an example of better than code when building an exterior wall?

How much will your wall cost to be bult better than code?

It is a sarcastic response to the builder who believes in his own mind that he is the best builder around.

are our minimum codes that bad.
No they are not "that bad" they are just a low bar for a contractor to aspire towards and does not make them a "quality" builder.

I see many houses that are built to code minimum, some are great and some are not. The difference is in the level of care and attention to detail that is put in.