• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why do (new) convenience stores lack airlock vestibules?

Simonsays

I'm wondering why even new convenience stores get completed without enforcing the energy requirement to provide airlock entry vestibules. Such stores are larger than 3,000 square feet and don't have a revolving door. Thoughts?

The store may be 3500 sq. ft. but the net area of the M use may be less than 3000 sq. ft. with separation between the storage area, cold storage area, bathrooms etc. Basically, the store area is its own vestibule when under 3000 sq. ft.

Reactions: JBI
I agree with rktect 1, most convenience stores that I'm familiar with have an open floor area of less than 3,000 s.f.
In some (limited?) instances, mtlogcabin is probably correct, just another overlooked code provision.

Not all AHJ's adopt the energy code due.
or
IECC section 502.4.7 exception 4, IMO SEZ "SPACE" which I believe makes reference to the main area, not counting the coolers, freezers, bathrooms, mechanical and back storage rooms like rktect 1 noted.

Also some zones are exempt in states like TX and FL. not requiring a vestibule under the exception.
or like mtlogcabin sez!