• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why I Appreciate This Forum

jar546

Forum Coordinator
It is hard to believe that it was over 14 years ago that I was asked to throw together a forum to replace the soon-to-be-doomed and removed ICC Forum. The ICC decided they did not want to be in the forum business so they canned it. It has been one hell of a journey because back then, just as now, I was working full-time as a Building Code Official for several municipalities. TBCF has been a labor of love. Recently, I was reminded of why I appreciate it so much.

Part of trying to grow this forum and keep it modern and relevant pushed me to start a Building Code Forum YouTube channel. One of the things that I forgot was that YouTube is filled with people of all backgrounds, levels of experience, knowledge levels, etc. The comments on some of the videos clearly show that. That is not the case here at TBCF.

I have been adamant about good moderation for this forum. As a result, we have highly informational content. Yes, just like YouTube, TBCF does have people of all different backgrounds, levels of experience, and knowledge levels, but not to the degrees we see on YT. Here, we all share a common bond of building codes, whether as designers, inspectors, plans examiners, building officials, or contractors. Of course, we may disagree, sometimes, it gets a little heated, but we moderate each other and make sure that there is a minimum level of professionalism. For that, I am thankful.

I may have created, nurtured, and maintained this forum, but it was all of you that built it, and make it what it is today. For that I thank you. The posts on this forum are much more informative than what you see on Youtube because our audience here is a niche of professionals, whereas YT can be anyone who is in the mood to troll.

So to each and every one of you. Thank you for making TBCF what it is today. Go watch some of our Youtube videos, look at the comments, and you will see the difference.

And here I though that you did it for the money.

Got a link to the YT videos?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Jeff, Thanks for pulling it together, and funding it as needed. We try to help as needed. But I am so happy that it has succeeded!

I have learned a lot from the members here. I am surprised at how much I had to learn. I would not have been aware of that without this forum. Just when I think I've got it figured out, someone comes along that actually has it figured out. My only regret is that you didn't create this forum earlier in my career.

It is difficult to measure the impact that the wealth of information that is this forum has had on my work ... I can say that it is profound. It comes down to how involved one wants to be in their education and that determines their proficiency.

My only regret is that you didn't create this forum earlier in my career.
Ice … early in you career people were still writing with quill pens.

Jar … I appreciate this forum and all you do, i have learned a lot. And i like that you are recently creating educational threads.

You're close to correct but that's an English jumping saddle and my horse had blinders. Oh, and my hat fits my huge melon.

20231203_121157.jpg

Last edited:
I have learned a lot from the members here. I am surprised at how much I had to learn. I would not have been aware of that without this forum. Just when I think I've got it figured out, someone comes along that actually has it figured out. My only regret is that you didn't create this forum earlier in my career.

It is difficult to measure the impact that the wealth of information that is this forum has had on my work ... I can say that it is profound. It comes down to how involved one wants to be in their education and that determines their proficiency.
Pretty much this.....^^^^^

I haven't been all that active of late, but I do remember the very early days of this forum, and have encouraged every new inspector I hire to engage and learn from this group of dedicated professionals. Thank you Jar, and others, for the time and effort you put into this very worthy endeavor!

All true above but I still view boards like this to be like the corner bar.

Kinda like the three legged dog went into a bar and said: "I'm lookin for the guy who shot my pa!"

Would you here something like that?

Or
"That exit light is covered up over there, "That's a code violation!"

Or,
Three building inspectors walk in a bar........and they all had a different answer?

The Canada section has really started growing recently, which is nice.

But in the years preceding that where there were only one or two of us on here, I still found value even just in the comparison between our code requirements. It has really benefited me in general situational awareness on what happens across the border.

For small Building Departments (like mine), this has been especially helpful. We don't have the budget, nor the time, to travel to code conferences or trainings that are out of our jurisdiction. This forum has allowed us the opportunity to read many different perspectives, learn new information, and to test and compare our own views with other code professionals. THANK YOU, Jeff!

PS: The PICS and short videos are a GREAT bonus!! (Special Thanks to Tiger (ICE) for the longest thread with pictures!) ...Worth a thousand words!!