• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why not Required Cooling?

Well to be honest I think both are a waste of time money and effort. Sure you may have a device to heat or cool but the major thing odes it do it very effective. And by what measurement?

People die or heat or cold for different reasons and I'll bet those aren't really taken into consideration except cold. No money for electric/gas could have been the answer instead. Same with no water for heat. Here we pass out water because heat may be uncomfortable but with water and shade you could survive.

I currently am not running a whole house AC but window units in bedrooms because there are portions of the house that don't need the cold air. Besides the normal for us is around 82-85 and a swamp cooler does a great job even the the real hot 115 days bring the temp down to 85-87. Too be sure when the humidity gets high it's a Biotch but that last a couple days then it's gone. Besides the $ savings is over 100-150 @ month from running the whole house AC.

BTW I think this year we use the heat 5-8 times to take the chill off.

My 2 cents. Your answer may vary.