• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why we need building codes

jar546

Forum Coordinator
A story in pictures. This is a home built in 1991. It is a modular home that had and addition and a garage added since then without permits or inspections.

Pier supports for the addition:

BeamSupport.jpg

The laundry sink in the garage is double trapped:

DoubleTrap.jpg

Of course we need to pull 100% of the return air from the garage before we heat the addition with a single register:

GarageReturnAir.jpg

Who needs safety glazing? We have enough grandkids:

SafeyGlazing1.jpg

And what NFPA code would be complete without the plastic oil tank piping exception: ;)

PlasticOilPipe.jpg

Re: Why we need building codes

While we are at it, lets splice the 14/2 in the wall where we access the hose bib shut off. Electrical tape is just great for this:

NMSpliceWall.jpg

Can you find the accessible electrical panel with working space?

ElecPanelAccess.jpg

Jeff, I have an appointment to see one tomorrow that has the potential to be just as good. County shows a 900 sqft garage two stories with unfinished space upstairs. Now we have at least three bays of garage with a side carport, rear deck, rear porch, a grand exterior stair leading to decorative glass french doors upstairs. That is a lot of expense to get to an "unfinished second story." :lol: I'll keep you posted.

Jeff you are way too picky - can't you see the trophies for excellence in building construction on the garage shelf?

The trophy shelf was for classic car awards. The garage had one of those lifts that you can stack cars on top of each other. They all had covers on them so I don't know what they were. I am not a car nut in the least so I did not care to ask either.

Jeff,

You need to get pictures of the cars and post them for the rest of us! Looks like you will be back several times anyway! ;)

Jeff,

You need to get pictures of the cars and post them for the rest of us! Looks like you will be back several times anyway! ;)
I agree with texas transplant, you left out the important pictures. ;)

The picture of the washing machine drain reminds of when the washing machine manufacturers increased the speed of draining the water out of the tub.

The old 1 1/2" drains couldn't contain the increased volume of water being pumped out of the washing machine and the water would back up and spill onto the floor.

We inserted a galvanized nipple into the washing machine drain hose to slow the flow and solved the problem.

Thanks for the memories,

Uncle Bob