• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

why would a fire official not want a sprinkler system bonded per with the nec

codeworks

Gold Member
why would a fire official not want a sprinkler system bonded in accordance with the nec ? i can't get an answer other than " i don't want anything on my systems." nec calls for all metal piping in an building likely to become energized to be bonded. i can think of multiple reasons to bond it, like "hot" water coming out of heads onto firefighters or occupants in a fire situation if the sytem becomes energized under flow, and /or an inability to close valves , "or get off of them " once the system is accidently energized and sytem needs work.

Because they are misinterpreting sections in the in the fire code that says various systems can not be used as a grounding method, which has nothing to do with the bonding requirements. We went through it here, fire "inspectors" requiring bonding jumpers to the sprinkler piping system be removed.