• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Why you need a permit to change a water heater

And in my seismic zone (D) you are required to strap them. Electric and Gas because when the large enough seismic event happens and the water lines rupture and or gas lines there may not be enough water to fight the fires that may start

In California gas water heaters are the usual choice. The state has decided to ban them for new construction. I am not sure as to when the ban takes effect. A great many are installed without permit now. In a few years it will be all of them.

Last edited:
Here in PA a permit is not required for non commercial unless it's a local ordinance. Worked in one township where you needed a zoning permit to change a water heater and a ordinance that said if you needed a zoning permit you also need a building permit.
Also the state code says us inspectors are not allowed to inspect anything to do with LP gas.

There's 10-15 items to check. I have seen a garden hose hooked up to the PRV and I have seen plenty of WH's with no drain line attached to the PRV, flues touching floor joist with no protection. I have seen copper gas lines, no disconnects within site, unions, rocking tanks and valves missing. So ther's a reason to issue a permit and do the inspections.

The pictures of the double WH in post #8 … they tied the t&p together? Is there a hidden t and down pipe behind the wh?

That is a lot of photos by ICE of water heater installations. I did not see any violations but they are nice photos nonetheless.
Your strong suit is electrical. I'm assuming that you have inspectors for plumbing? Well one can hope. The second to the last picture was actually for you...being as it was all about electrical.

Almost all of the pictures have been posted at the forum previously in the Average Day thread. Every picture has at least one violation. 28 picture = easily 65 violations.

Last edited: