• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wide Variations in State Adoptions of the NEC® Reveal Neglect of Electrical Safety

jar546

Forum Coordinator
I found this to be a good read. I learned quite a few things from reading this.

Attachments

• PolicyInstituteFallingBehingElectricalSafetyReport.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
The NEC is revised a year before the International Codes, which adds a year to the process when the NEC is adopted along with the International Codes which reference it.

Virginia has an Administrative Process Act which states how many hearings have to be held, length of comment periods, etc. We used to adopt new codes and amendments about 18 months after the ICC issued the new codes, but after the latest enhancement of the APA it takes about 3 years. The 2018 Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code, which incorporates the 2017 NEC, became effective July 1, 2021, but plans based on the 2015 code could be submitted for permit for a year after that. I expect many other states have similar cumbersome adoption processes.

", over 80 percent of U.S. residents
polled feel that policymakers should make it a priority
to ensure electrical and fire safety codes are up-to-date, and
86 percent believe that if they purchased a newly-constructed
home today, it would meet the most up-to-date codes.
States should strive to meet these expectations."

Yet the end users and builders complain with each new code cycle adoption of the cost is to much

Yet the end users and builders complain with each new code cycle adoption of the cost is to much
End users only complain because they are fed this information by the builders who use codes as reasons why homes are so expensive. Historically contractors blame the building department for everything, including project delays and changes, when in fact, they need to look inward.

It's OK to upsell the $10,000 granite kitchen island but it's a problem when the electrical panel has $700 worth of AFCI breakers.

jar564, I agree, pointing out that statics are misleading, the question asked to get the data often skews the results

", over 80 percent of U.S. residents
polled feel that policymakers should make it a priority
to ensure electrical and fire safety codes are up-to-date, and
86 percent believe that if they purchased a newly-constructed
home today, it would meet the most up-to-date codes.
States should strive to meet these expectations."

And none of them realize that better enforcement of existing codes would save more lives and money than adopting the "latest and greatest" codes...